Mites/odd behaviour

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sarahjayne, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Sarahjayne

Sarahjayne New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    UK
    Hi.. One... Sorry I never come on here & when I did last it was with a question... Bad participation.

But.. I am really worried & could do with some advice.

Last night I got home late & noticed 4 of my 11 girls were roosting outside the coop,,, which is odd. So I put them in the house, which I realised was crawling In mites! Literally everywhere! We treat them occasionally & never realised we had a problem.., we have had them coming up a year. Today has been bad storms... awful hail stones & was at a wedding. But tomorrow I will completely clean the coop, every nook & crannie & then de earth it & paragon & red mite (altho no sign of red mite) just now 3 chicken were once again roosting outside when should of been in bed... Picked a chicken up & an egg dropped out of her!

Is this just down to a serious mite problem? Or is there something else? No sign of a Any rats etc, i am in the UK so no snakes etc...

& any tips other than paragon & DE earth?? Feel awful & worried.

Thanks in advance xx

2. Sarahjayne

Sarahjayne New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    UK
    Ps... I did throw some mite stuff in there tonight

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  4. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Hi Sarah, I happened across someone else's post in emergencies/diseases titled "MIRACLE WAY TO KILL MITES." Sorry, I'd include the link but I don't know how to yet! :) I haven't personally tried it yet but will should I need to. I know dish soap and water in a spray bottle made short work of yellow jackets for us this year. And the nice thing is, you can breath while you're spraying!

5. 6LittleHens

6LittleHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I use poultry protector. I buy the concentrate online and mix 2 oz. in with a 32 oz. sprayer. I haven't ever had a mite problem.

P.S. You spray it on them and around their living areas. Do you let them free range?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. Sarahjayne

Sarahjayne New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    UK
    Thank you guys. I will look at post...
    They have a coop & large run then free range 2 hours a night , when I'm home from work then take themselves to bed. So worried, they have laid less eggs in last few days xx

7. 6LittleHens

Jun 21, 2014
    They could have gotten mites from other birds in and around your yard.

8. Sarahjayne

Sarahjayne New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    UK
    I gave it a huge clean today! There were so many mites, we have had really got weather lately, when I cleaned them a week ago I didn't notice one! I'm so shocked!
    Yes we have alot of wild birds come & dust bath in the dust the chickens make, probably not helpful.
    I'm going to keep on top if it & fingers crossed can get it down to minimal, I know it's so hard with red mite to get rid of x

9. 6LittleHens

Jun 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

You can also make your chickens their own personal dust bathing area! Mine love theirs!!! :) I also spray that with poultry protector too. It keeps the birds out!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by