Mites on 3 week old chicks? SEVEN DUST 5%?????? Confused

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by preciouspokey, Jun 19, 2010.

1. preciouspokey

preciouspokey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    I bought 4 peachicks a week ago that are about 3 weeks. I was holding one this afternoon and noticed this teeny tiny mite looking like thing (like a tiny sesame seed) on its head and near its eye. Are these mites? What is the best way to treat them if it is? I use DE on my all my chickens and their chicks would this help a peachick also? Any help would greatly appreciated. Oh btw, I also saw one actually crawling around inside its ear canal.....good lord made me itching looking at it!!!

Thank you,
    Victoria & 4 itchy chicks

Wrote this in a reply but in case ppl don't read the reply here it is again...sorry

I keep reading about ppl using Seven dust 5% on nesting boxes and the birds themselves. But on the container it says keep away from pets? I'm confused.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Last winter I had a chick hatch under a hen that developed splayed leg.
    I brought it in to treat it and noticed the same thing! I was horrified because I use DE and when I clean, dust the bottom and cracks with sevin.
    I had Advantage for kittens/cats under 9 lbs. I moistened the end of a q-tip with advantage & rubbed it on the back of the chicks neck.
    Within 20 min there were dead mites all over the shredded paper toweling.
    I did the rest of the chicks, the broody, and 4 more chickens with just 1 tube.
    Brenda

3. preciouspokey

Nov 10, 2009
    I keep reading about ppl using Seven Dust 5% on nesting boxes and birds themselves. But then I read on the container do not get near pets? I'm confused, I do not want to hurt any of my "babies".

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would not use any chemicals on peachicks that young, I would use the Seven Dust. It is a common lice/mite found on peafowl....

5. preciouspokey

Nov 10, 2009
    When I ask about the Seven I am more wondering about chickens in general and their pens. Is it really safe to use on even adult birds?

6. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Way back before all the new flea meds that are now on the market, a vet told my sister to use Sevin dust on her dog. Said to just dust the dog down and also sprinkle it around in the carpet and then vacuum. She had small house dogs and did this will no ill affects.

7. MIgourdgirl

MIgourdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    I used Seven on my adult chickens three or four months ago with no ill effects. At the time, I did not mess with any chickens setting on eggs, so I was going to take care of them and the younger chickens now. Thought I'd redo everyone again. Does anyone know how frequently the Seven can be used?

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I just try not to let them breath too much it in, and be very careful around their face....

9. Maverick061106

Maverick061106 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    I use Sevin Dust on my hounds (when you have 6+ dogs, flea control gets expensive!) with no ill effects - just have to do it every 3-4 days when the season is bad because it wears off. I pour it right on thier backs, then use my hands to rub it into thier fur well. Then I pour it in my hand and carefully do around ears and faces - I try not to let them breathe it in too much or get it in thier eyes.

My mother and aunt, who has 100+ egg-layers, also told me Sevin Dust is okay to use on chickens/birds.

Rabbits has extremely sensitive skin and it is even okay to put Sevin Dust on pet rabbits.

It says not to use on animals on the container, but they have to say that because it is not marketed as pet flea control.

I'm not sure about age limits for birds, but I don't put it on my puppies until they are at least 3 months old, since I don't want mama licking it off of all of them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by