Mites on a sick looking hen- Sevin or Eprinex?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinchelsea, Jan 20, 2012.

1. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I noticed one of our hens has been sitting in the nest box constantly and her comb and wattles have gone pale. I had DH check her for mites and he said he saw a bunch near her vent. He said it looks like she is still laying though and he has seen her eat and drinking okay. She does look sick though.

I've read a ton of threads about mites but I'm not sure if Sevin or Eprinex would be better? If she is already ill from the mites I don't want something that will hurt her, but obviously the mites need to be taken care of right away. Can the eggs be eaten if we use either of these? I can dust the coop and boxes with Sevin too, right?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend using sevin dust. Mites can cause anemia, then death. Using eprinex will further stress her system since it's primary purpose is a wormer. Redust her in 10 days, dust your coop now and repeat again in 10 days. The eggs are safe to eat with either treatment. Inspect your other chickens as well.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Ok, perfect, that's what I was wondering. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by