mites on almost all of my chickens... treatment!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featheredfriendlover, Sep 19, 2009.

1. featheredfriendlover

featheredfriendlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ok. i have 3 roosters that are my excess roos and they are in a pen attached to the outside of my coop about 4 feet off the ground on wire. well anyway i was gonna let them out for 1 hour yesterday and then shut them up again and i was wondering if they still had mites( i treated them before i put them in the cage)(about 2 months ago). well i looked around the vent and you can see the parent mites and the baby mites all over there vents. so i put them back in the cage and looked to see if my other chickens have them and low and behold they DO!!!!!!!! [​IMG] well how did the mites get on my roos in the cage OFF THE GROUND, ON WIRE!!!!!!! how do i treat them. when do i treat them. how often. whats the ABSOLUTE BEST THING TO GET!!??

like i said i treated them before but the mites just keep comming back. its a dust for mite prevention called something like invectrim or something. im not sure(ill have to go check) but yeah i treated them before and they keep on comming back.

can i treat them over the winter that way i kill them and there arent any living outside they bring in.

where are they getting them from?? my best guess is outside when they free range??

how often do i treat them??

WHAT IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST THING TO USE!!!!!!???

PLEASE I THINK MY CHICKENS ARE SUFFERING BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I believe many people dust them with Sevin dust. There are a lot of mite threads on here-type in mites on your search and you'll find all kind of info!

Good luck!

3. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    5% Sevin Dust. Not 10 % too strong.

Also, l & l/2 CC of Ivermection per gallon of drinking water, for 24 hours, then replace with fresh water. This kills the parasites inside and outside the chickens. Wait one month, repeat.

Dust all nests, and below the house/pen.

Relax, take a deep breath, mites are bad, but you can be badder, oops, worse.

DonnaBelle

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Ok I dust them w/ 5 percent Sevin dust you find at the garden supply store

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Treat all of you chickens with Sevin dust. Dust them really well and 'ruffle' the feathers to make sure you get the dust down the feather shaft to the skin. Dust the vent also. Do this again in 7 days. They might need 2 treatments. Clean out the coops VERY WELL and sprinkle more Sevin dust on the floor near the walls and the roosts and every crack you can find. The mites live in the cracks during the day and come out at night to feed on your chickens.

Replace with fresh bedding. Pay special attention to the laying boxes. The mites can really take a toll on laying birds.

A great way to worm chickens and kill any mites and lice is with Ivermectin. Get Ivermentin pour on for cattle. For a full grown hen I would apply 4 drops and for a good size rooster I would use 6 drops.

Have someone help you with this. It makes things go faster. Apply the drops at the base of the neck near the shoulders. Put the drops on the chickens skin and not the feathers. If you get it on the feathers it will not work. This will get rid of internal and external parasites. I do this once in the fall and again in the spring.

The Ivermectin you use on the skin and the Ivermectin you add to the water are both good. Just make sure you know what formula you are using and how it should be used.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. featheredfriendlover

featheredfriendlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    thank you all so very much.... thats greaattt to know.....

now where do i find all of this stuff.

thanks again for all the info.

cole.

7. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you have a TSC near you, they will have it.

8. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    When my girls got infested over the summer I peppered them with a food grade DE (diatomaceous earth). When I rechecked my girls later that week, those critters were dead dead dead. [​IMG] Yeeeuck!

I also tend to use the DE when I clean up their coop or add fresh straw.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    you can get at like a garden supply store or Tractor Supply.......its actually for plants i use it on my chickens, ducks, and garden!

10. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    If you really can't stand it, I found giving them a bath in BioSpot flea shampoo (PetSmart) did the trick for me. Those suckers were jumping off the bird! The hen really seemed to enjoy it and my 'rescues' were soothed :-D Afterward they were soooo much better.

Once they're dry you can dust them with sevin and of course clean the coop and roost before letting them back in.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by