Mites on baby chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisagr, Aug 5, 2014.

1. lisagr

lisagr New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    We are just hatching some baby chicks (incubator) and have found some mites in the brooder - rubbermaid tub - We have pine shavings in there and I am not sure where the mites came from but can see tiny brown mites crawling in the pine shavings and on the sides of the tub? What is the best treatment. The chicks are only a day or two old BUT... I did have a broody hen that hatched 4 chicks and I brought them inside too.. That may be where they came from. Can I dust them with seven dust or DE? And since I kept my rubbermaid tub in my house.. should i treat my house?

My next step is to check all my other birds. I just need help with my babies right now? Anyone else every treated newborn chicks?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Odds are mites noted will not be a problem for chicks. Once chicks removed from brooder they and mites will part ways. Swap out pine needles for something like wood shaving or wood pellets. Also make so chicks can dust themselves in something like potting soil.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are they mites or lice? Either way, I would thoroughly inspect all birds and if I found any bugs on the chicks I would put a very small amount of poultry dust on their vents and under the wings. The feed store I go to often has young hatchery chicks *covered* in lice, and those chicks are in brooders on pine shavings.... not sure where they come from as there are never adult birds in those cement floor brooders.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If one can see them crawling on shavings and the side of the tub it sounds a little more serious than an "odd mite".

-Kathy

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I suspect the arthropods in question are not parasitic on chickens therefore no treatment to kill is needed.

6. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    try DE (diatomeatios earth) its food grade so they can eat it and its meant for pens and coops to keep mites and other invertebrates. you can get red lake at TSC.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    But if they are poultry lice or mites the birds need to be treated.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. lisagr

lisagr New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Do you think they are too young for the DE?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    DE won't treat mites or lice and I'm not just repeating something I read, I actually bought a huge bag and tried it. If they do have lice or mites I would get some poultry dust and use it sparingly.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by