mites on broody what to do with chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txmel, Jul 17, 2011.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have a broody serama who i just noticed this morning have what looks to be mites and scales on her face! yuck! the eggs that she has been sitting on for the past 21 days didnt hatch but the other eggs in the incubator that i was going to give her the chicks from, had 1 hatch. so i really want to have her raise the lone chick but now that i noticed she has mites will it be ok to put the chick in with her after i treat her for the mites today? i dont want to lose the only survivor from this hatch. i think the chick would be better off being with a broody then raised solo in the house till big enough to go out with the chickens. chickens can be so mean to solo chicks that i am afraid it would just be an outsider for life or worse if its raise in the house. i hope this makes sense! thanks!
    oh also whats the best way to treat mites on the face? i dont want to get anything in here eyes but she has them all around her eyes. poor thing!

2. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    anybody? i treated her with ivermectin pour on 2 drops to the back of her neck, also does anyone know if i need to retreat her in a few days. i scrubbed and dusted the coop after removing all the shavings and cleaned the coop with diluted bleach water before putting fresh shavings down
    thanks
    Melanie

3. llegree

llegree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I'm no expert at all but we generally believe nature knows best. We had two broodies sitting on eggs that hatched 7 babies. They tag teamed being great moms for them. The broodies got mites from sitting for so long and passed them on to the babies when they were born. We took out all of the bedding and put fresh bedding in and torched any mites we saw. We didn't give the broodies any medicine or anything to get rid of the mites and they were bad. Would instantly have them on me if I touched the coop or a mom. A week or so later all mites were gone from babes and moms and all are doing fine and happy.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help you but in our case they did fine.

Good luck

4. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Same thing happened to me, I used the pour on, and also dusted her bottom, and when the chicks went under her they got dusted also! All seems well now, and I did not clean out the coop entirely yet (just the box she was in) as I have one that is broody yet. But haven't found anymore mites, I did treat the rest of my flock with the pour on also...

5. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    thank for the replies everyone so far so good broody and chick seem to be doing well ill just be keeping my eyes on them all for a while

6. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    I put Diatomaceous earth in my chickens dust bath. In the areas they are dusting outside I sprinkle some on the ground. I do not have trouble with mites ans as they eat a small amount of it, they do not have trouble with internal "bugs". You can also rub the mixture onto your hen on the affected area. It will not hurt chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by