Mites on Buff Orphington Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mustangs7, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Mustangs7

Mustangs7 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    I have a flock of ten hens and a rooster and about two weeks ago I noticed mites on one of the Buff Orphingtons. She had been weak and clumsy and her comb was pale. Most were around the tail and under the wings. I bought Poultry Protector and sprayed her, but I went on vacation so I couldn't spray her for a week. By then my other buff had a few too so I sprayed her too. After that, I sprayed them for almost a week but I had to drench them with it because every time I lifted some feathers, I would discover more mites. There were less but I ran out of the spray. I was wondering if there were more efficient ways to treat them without buying bottles after bottles of spray.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I use seven dust. It's in the garden section. Dust them carefully. I go out at night so there is no wind (the stuff kills bees) and carefully dust them in the coop. Keep it out of their lungs...and your's! Some people have used pillowcases and stuck all the chicken in the bag but kept the head out and shook the dust around. I just pour it in my hand and carefully work it in under the feathers on their backs, under the wings, under the belly and bottom end and then at the back of the neck. If it is a crested bird I put a pinch in the crest. Dust the nests too. Then in 10 days do it again to get the eggs that hatch.

3. Mustangs7

Mustangs7 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Thanks for the help! I'll try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by