Mites on chicks?

aShMaNv

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Choctaw, OK
I just bought 6 bantam chicks at the feed store. I have only had them a day and noticed one of them acting strange. One of the chicks will begin chirping very loudly and will start scratching like crazy at the side of its head. Usually one side then the other. But sometimes it will drop to the ground and scratch with both legs. Usually this only lasts 30 seconds or so. After I noticed it two or three times I separated the chick from the others. A few of the others are scratching a little but not any more than the normal. The chick acts fine at all other times and eats and drinks well. I tried to read up on it and thought it may be mites but wasn't sure. Does the sound like mites? And if so what is the best treatment?

I would doubt that they would have mites, but you can look with a magnifying glass to check their skin. If I were you I would get some SaveAChick electrolytes to add to their water or Pedialyte to drink straight. They may be suffering from shipping stress. Make sure they are warm enough--about 90 degrees the first week, and have a cooler area to get to. Place some chick crumbles on some paper towel so they will notice it to eat, and dip their beaks into their water. Check vents every day for the first week for pasty butt. When chicks are stressed and possibly dying they will sometimes flip over on their backs, but I hope your chicks are okay.

Here is a homemade electrolyte recipe (smaller portions can be made) from TheChickenChick.com:

[COLOR=0000FF][COLOR=000000][COLOR=F908BF]HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]​
 ​
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute​
1 teaspoon baking soda​
1 teaspoon table salt​
1 tablespoon sugar​
1 gallon water​

Thanks for the recipe! I am going to give that a try! What do you use for the salt substitute?

Back
Top Bottom