Mites on Face - Getting worse!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hippy Mama, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Hippy Mama

Hippy Mama New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    I am getting very worried about my chicken. She almost can't see now because her skin is swelling around her eyes. I am almost positive it is mites (scaly face?) that are in her skin and the powder is not working. My other chickens are showing some signs, too.

I found some Ivermax, but it is the injectible kind. Can anyone help me with how to use it? I cannot find the pourable kind. I have searched this site and I can't find anything specific on how to make it pourable or if I can give it to the chicken directly.

Here is a pic, in case anyone has other ideas. I am getting desperate.

Thanks!!
    Laura
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's some type of mite, try putting vaseline on her face to smother them. In the meantime, here's your dosage you requested; Ivomec 1% injectable cattle ivermectin...1cc per quart of water or 4cc per gallon of water. The mixture must be the sole source of water for your chicken for 2 days. Retreat again in 14 days for lice/mites...same dosage and time.

3. Hippy Mama

Hippy Mama New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Ah! In the water. I missed that somehow. Thank you!!!

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Yikes! You will have an infestation on your entire flock soon...you need to clean the coops like mad! I haven't found the thread yet, but I recall someone mentioned putting a coat of oil on the walls, roosts, nesting boxes (spray cooking oil works). I know you can smother scaley leg mites with vaseline and oil, but I'm not sure about the ones that live on the face of the chicken. I'll search out the thread w/ info. Good luck.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Have you had any breathing problems or drainage from the nose or eyes of your chickens?

6. Hippy Mama

Hippy Mama New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Hi Muggs,
    The first thing I did a few days ago was clean the coop thoroughly, vacuum, and treat it with Permethrin and Diatomaceous Earth. I also powdered all the chickens and put DE where they dust. I have one other chicken that has some swelling and crustiness around one eye. It does not look that bad at all (especially compared to the other one).

I have a big quarantine area for the two with signs. They will get Ivermax water and vaseline. I will watch my other ladies closely.

If you find the thread, please pass it along. I have searched BYC myself but I did not see one about oiling the house.

Thank you so much!
    Laura

7. Hippy Mama

Hippy Mama New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Hi ChickensAreSweet,
    No drainage from nose. A bit of eye irritation, but no signs of anything upper-respiratory. Just a puffy irritated face. Poor lady.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I'm glad you used permethrin...DE is useless against something like this, it'll fail you. Use sevin dust on your chickens and coop. Redust everything in 10 days.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  10. Hippy Mama

Hippy Mama New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I used DE on the chickens as I could not find directions on how to dust the chickens with Permethrin. I only used it in the coop. Will the Permethrin help treat the already infected face? If so, how do I use it?

Thanks!! This is all new for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by