Mites or allergies to my silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffygirls85, Feb 21, 2014.

1. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    I have four hens two of which are silkies. Recently they all got mites. I treated them with baths, seven dust, and treated the pen. All the mites are gone. But i have broken into a rash I'm not sure if i got bit by the mites and had an allergic reaction or if I may be allergic to one of my hens. She is show bred and has almost hair like thick feathers and whenever i pick her up I tend to itch. Odd thing is I'm allergic to kitten dander and that makes my palms and feet itch but when I touch her its all over my body that itches even my scalp. Any ideas ?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    She may still have mites or they could be running to you for food. Mites will bite you but can't live off of you and they tend to hide in the cracks between wood making them hard to rid in a coop. Remember that 7 days after the first treatment you will need to retreat because sevin doesn't kill the eggs. This will take care of any that hatched.

3. fluffygirls85

fluffygirls85 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Citrus, fl
    Ok ill redust them again. I also gave them ivermectin by mouth as directed by vet. When I bathed them the other day there wasn't any mites present.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I had a bought of mites on my silkies too and they WILL bite you. I got a rash on my chest and various bumps on my stomach and arms after treating mine.those mites bites itch to high heaven too!! Try some calamine lotion for the rash it will help. I'd also treat them again as well. Good luck.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Something else... Someone told me the other day that the way they get the dust properly into the cracks in the coop is to put some dust down and blow it with either a leaf blower or a hair dryer to get it in there (always wear a dust mask if doing this, you don't want to breath it in). Check them it night as that will be when they come out and onto the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by