Mites (or lice) in geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LucyGoosey1, Apr 5, 2018.

1. LucyGoosey1

LucyGoosey1 In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2016
    Hello,
    My goose might have mites; I'm not sure. Several days ago she started to suck / comb a few of her feathers on her shoulder repeatedly. Judging from the looks of her when I get home from work, she has been doing this for the past few days. I've examined the spot (not yet down to the skin; her feathers are thick.) I've seen a few very small dark reddish / brown particles, but I don't know whether they are mites or just dirt.

I've let her bathe every day.

If this is a case of mites, is it treated the same as for chickens, with garlic juice, diatomaceous earth, poultry dust, permethrin, etc.? It seems she preens more than our chickens; I don't want to poison her.

Thanks in advance.

Cara

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It could just be dander. Here is a link about lice and mites and what they look like
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Usually water fowl are pretty resistant to external parasites because they bath regularly

Even when my chickens got a case of mites none of my water fowl got them.

Mites will get on you I had this happen when I went and picked up one of my chickens a few years ago, Came inside and felt something crawling on my head, went into the bath room took the comb and over the sink combed through my hair yep blk little suckers crawling around in the sink much tinier than blk peeper. They didn't bite I took a shower and washed my hair that was the end of them. Then I treated all my flock with poultry dust and sprayed the inside of their coop with Neem Oil haven't had them since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: