Mites or lice??

Travchix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Hello I have 11 9 month old chickens all layers. I've noticed some feather loss on my girls, I checked the vent area of my sexlink to find these little bugs scatter out of sight!! And not a lot but some white things on the base of the feathers? My buff is missing some feathers on her neck I can't see any bugs on her. At a close up look all my chickens have minimal feather loss and skin looks irritated I gave them a very good bath in DE today really good! Is that going to help? Should I do anything else? They seem to be acting ok. It's been really really wet here in Michigan so they don't have much dry sand to bath in someone please help! Thanks so much!!!

The little beasties are lice and the white bits on the feathers are the eggs. The DE is meant to help but will take time and isn't always effective. If you want to get rid of them quickly you need to use Fipronil. It's dog and cat flea treatment in a 'spot on' or spray application. Trade names are Frontline or Eliminall. This is used off licence so you would need to do some research into egg withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom