Mites? Or normal brahma feet

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Would this be mites? Only my brahmas have these dry, scaly l PXL_20221030_172420209.MP.jpg ooking stuff on their feet.

One is also missing some feathers as of today on the front of her neck. They are about seven months old so too young to molt.

Last edited:
Hard to tell if it's the beginnings of Scaly Leg Mites or just raised from being feather footed.

Here's the thing. It won't hurt her one bit to treat for SLM and if that's not the issue, no harm no Fowl:D
Rub a bit of oil, vaseline or ointment into and up underneath the scales of the toes, feet and legs a couple of times a week. If there's SLM, then this will begin to suffocate them. If it's not SLM, then she's getting a foot massage.

Hard to tell if it's the beginnings of Scaly Leg Mites or just raised from being feather footed.

Here's the thing. It won't hurt her one bit to treat for SLM and if that's not the issue, no harm no Fowl:D
Rub a bit of oil, vaseline or ointment into and up underneath the scales of the toes, feet and legs a couple of times a week. If there's SLM, then this will begin to suffocate them. If it's not SLM, then she's getting a foot massage.
I really appreciated your pun. :)

That's easy enough. I'll go ahead and treat.

What about the feather loss? Thoughts now on if it's mites or something else? I plan to keep treating for mites in the meantime. Feather loss is on the feet and neck. PXL_20221101_215912563.jpg PXL_20221101_215854879.jpg PXL_20221101_215904088.MP.jpg

I've had some molt at different ages, so it's not impossible to go through at molt at 7 months.

If she's eating/drinking and active, then I'd just keep an eye on her.
Ok. How long does it take to molt? Wondering when I would know for sure it's a molt?

Back
Top Bottom