Mites or something else? *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HayHays97, Dec 12, 2014.

1. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hey guys,

My duck has this going on with his eye. Although the photo doesn't show it very well, at the bottom of his eyes its quite foamy.
    We've been treating him for mites for the feather loss, but he's also getting picked on by one or two of the chickens. So we're not sure whether he's been pecked in the eye or whether it's something else. Is there any suggestions on what to do? He's acting normal, eating and everything and it doesn't seem to be causing him too much distress apart from the occasional head shaking.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    First of all keep him away from the chickens they are the worst for pecking, what are you using for the mites and did you actually see mites? I'd rinse his eye out real well with some saline[warm water mixed with salt] 1-2 teas per cup of warm water. or get some Veterycin spray TSC carries it. that can be sprayed into the eyes and is very safe. or some Terramycin eye salve for live stock. it looks inflammed.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with what Miss Lydia suggested.

4. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Poor baby. What kind of duck. My chickens are meanies when they sense weakness

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Ouch, that's one heck of a bad infection...grr. I legally can't really give treatment advice other than "vet!" but I will say Lydia has a good idea for a first aid option. If it doesn't work though, you really ought to get him to a vet ASAP, since some antibiotics are far more potent against certain bacteria strains, whereas others are completely ineffectual. It all depends on the bacterium species. It sure looks painful. Poor little guy. :/

6. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Zekey's a mallard. And yes the chickens aren't that friendly apart from one which has taken him under her wing (literally) since he was a duckling.

But thankyou very much for the help guys :) we've been putting salty water on it for the past few days and the inflamation seems to have gone down a bit, we'll keep an eye on it and it gets any worse we'll take him to the vet.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Happy to hear it's getting better. He looks like such a sweetie glad he has one chicken friend. My chickens aren't even nice to each other sometimes [​IMG]

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Thank goodness! How's the eye itself looking? Is there any discharge or cloudiness? Is his nicitating membrane red, pink, or back to normal? What about fever, do his feet and bill feel abnormally warm? Also, what kind of salt are you using? Rock salt is fine and won't irritate his eye, iodized table salt, not so much. :p

Sorry for the 3rd degree...I just worry for your lil' guy. I'm so happy that the saline flushes seem to be working!

9. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Any news on your duck? Hope he is doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by