1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites or something else

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wmhatt, Mar 15, 2016.

1. wmhatt

wmhatt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    mid michigan
    I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask or under diseases.

I lost my welsummer rooster last Thursday, I seen that he was hanging in the barn and not in the coop at night and was breathing a little heavy. I know he got into it with my other rooster, who was the beta rooster, about Sunday of that week. Thursday I went out to close them up and I could not find him. I found him Friday morning and took care of him.

Well Sunday before I went to work my roosters hen(they were good friends) was standing by herself. Monday I checked her out and she looked like she might of had a pasty butt and the area was bare and I seen one mite which could be normal. She had laid me an egg earlier so I know she is not egg bound. She was lethargic and the other chickens would not let her eat. I took her aside and feed her some oatmeal and put her back in the coop. I checked on her this morning and she was sitting in the corner under the roosting area. I again checked for mites but did not see anything so I put her in a cage and gave her oatmeal and water. When I got in the house I san mites on me. It is Still making me itch and I am finding one or two here and there on me. I took wood ash out to her and cover her with it and put a bunch in the coop and nesting boxes.

I am planning on getting seven later and dusting all the chickens tonight. I am concerned that it may not be mites and something else I have lost 2 other chickens this winter (3 altogether one was old, one was 4 yrs and the rooster was 2yrs)and now I am getting concerned that maybe I have a virus

any suggestions

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. wmhatt

Jul 18, 2011
    mid michigan
    I also had a problem with possums this winter - I still have one that was hanging in the barn.

3. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Is their area clean? And not a land full of poop?
    I would definitely dust all your chickens, and put DE(diatomaceous earth) In their food
    Here is a link to the benefits of DE
    https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/diatomaceous-earth-chickens/

I use DE and none of my birds or dogs have mites or parasites.

Hope this helps

BCP

4. wmhatt

Jul 18, 2011
    mid michigan
    I just cleaned it out about a week ago. I knock off the top layer and put down new during the winter but I removed 98% of it a week ago. I will start treating it as a mite infestation and be more diligent in the future. It is going to be a long struggle for they free range and are into everything.

thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by