mites/peacocks

sshealy

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2020
have not had any issues but after several wet days my birds are scratching and I see feather's off my oldest males back of neck I liberally have kept pens dusted with DE my plan is to switch to seven dust and after lots of research will try the ivermectin 1% 4cc to gallon water for 3 days unless someone else has a better or safer solution

I don't have Peacocks, and know nothing about them, but I'm sure ectoparasite treatment in poultry can be extrapolated to use in Peafowl.

For poultry, I use a Permethrin-Based livestock spray, like this one-

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz

Per the directions I dilute the mixture down accordingly into a one-gallon sprayer, shake well, and spray each bird all over, focusing under the vent and wings. Do this to all birds, clean the coop out well, and spray the coop thoroughly, and repeat the process in seven/ten days since this won't kill the eggs. If there are lots of knits (eggs) on some birds, sometimes I'll directly clip them off and properly dispose of them.

Sevin dust will work too, I just find the whole process a lot messy, and time-consuming compared to the spray, but to each his own.

If you're using sevin I'd see no reason why you would want to use Ivermectin. I wouldn't dose it in water since it's not water-soluble if you do decide to use it.

have not had any issues but after several wet days my birds are scratching and I see feather's off my oldest males back of neck I liberally have kept pens dusted with DE my plan is to switch to seven dust and after lots of research will try the ivermectin 1% 4cc to gallon water for 3 days unless someone else has a better or safer solution
DE is supposedly no use. I have heard it can cause lung problems in poultry, and doesn't get rid of mites. Have you checked of mites, and been certain they have them? Can you post pictures of the fatherless areas?

picture

Attachments

• 20200928_142934_Burst03.jpg
    20200928_142934_Burst03.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom