MITES! PLEASE HELP!

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
I think I saw mites in my barnevelder hen! They were small and yellow. I also saw what looked like larvae. I saw them on her thighs, near her eyes, her earlobes, and her vent. I covered her feathers, dust bath, and nesting boxes in diatomaceous earth. I am planning on giving her a warm bath with some pet shampoo. Would that do the trick? She is new, and I was planning on introducing her to the flock tonight on the roost....But now I am not so sure. The problem is I do not have anywhere else for her to sleep. Please help! How do I get rid of them? Where can she sleep?
Thank you SO much.
Marie

Seven dust in a panty hose powder puff. Ivermectin (a few drops on the skin under the neck feathers). From then on frontline spray under each wing and around vent, 1 squirt each every 3-4 months or so. Sound like lice and not mites though. Will work for all of them.

I think some bird mites can transfer inside but it's usually from a bird nest in your roof that then gets abandoned, leaving the resident mites with nothing to eat. There are quite a few different types of bird mite. I certainly didn't manage to transfer them indoors (despite them trying to eat me alive as I was cleaning out the coop). I also avoided transferring them to my aviary, or bantam coop/run (much to my great relief). So just be careful and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. They are awful things. But do treat your birds and coop because they can kill your chickens if you don't get on top of them.

If you don't have a big coop then painting the inside with neem oil (I did a 50% neem 50% water mix) should kill them off and it stops insects from being able to move to their next stage of development. It apparently interfers with their appetite so they starve too. I keep checking for mites by running my hand under the roosts and I found evidence of mites again the other day so I dosed my coop once more. It's been at least 3 months since my big outbreak of them, and they seem to turn up every time we have a rat problem (rats apparently can carry the little suckers, as can wild birds).

Do not put her in when your other chickens unless you want them ALL to get the mites.

Do you have a wire dog cage handy?

UPDATE: I set her in the bath with some orange scented soap and I saw a LOT of mites drift off of her, dead. There are probably still a few. I was holding her in the sun and I felt a few crawl up my arm, so I squished every one I felt or found on her. There are probably more though. Will a dog crate with a blanket over it work as a sleeping place? Will it keep her warm enough? I am going to give her another bath tomorrow, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom