Mites ruin everything!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Silkiesandco, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    I just checked my chickens today since we have a show this weekend. I ALWAYS forget to check the face area and usually only check under the wings and around the vent since i have had no experieces with the ones around the face. So anyway I was looking at my chickens and fo some reason i checked ones head and the poor baby had eggs EVERYWHERE and mites *shivers*. The others had some, not as much though. Mites ruin everyting! I cant show this weekend! And there is a show only once a year. Anyway I dusted them and will dust them tomorrow but since there is alot of eggs they wont be gone by the show. Shoot!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you for being thought ful of the other exhibitors ! IF everyone was as thoughtful as you, we would have much fewer "things" passed from one bird to another. [​IMG]

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    duplicate [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  5. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Quote:Awww [​IMG] well i always seem to catch mites when i go. So why spread them around. Barf they give me the shivers those things xD

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    How about Frontline ? Isn't that supposed to kill adults and eggs in like 24 hours? Just a drop or two usually does the trick? Maybe its the same ingredient that's been listed already, I'm not sure. I've used it as a preventative, but never for an infestation.

Also, I do commend you for not trying to bring in infested birds. You rock! [​IMG]

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:i really want to use frontline... but i have OEGB and serama, i wouldn't know how to make the the dosage that small...

also... walmart now sells their own brand of frontline... it's called pet armour... it's the same chemical as frontline since frontline recently lost it's patent... it's cheap... a pack of 3 for 29 dollars... amazing...

i really want to use it on the chickens, but like i said... there's no how to or anything with directions...

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Ivermectin will kill them within minutes..a big generic bottle is about $15 and will treat hundreds of birds...

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Do NOT use the topical Frontline. If you're going to use Frontline use the spray. Topical is too difficult to monitor dose and could end up causing more issues than mites. I did some investigating on Fipronil and I didn't like what I saw. It can cause infertility, appears to cause spontaneous abortions and cancer.

There is a plethora of things out there to use. Ivermectin being the easiest but to rotate also use things like Dumor horse fly spray, Sevin, give them sand pits for dusting.

10. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You can Dip the Birds, using permethrin in the water to kill the mites, you will need to follow up in 10 days and do it again. I do use Ivermectin and it is great, we also bath the birds in Adams flea and tick after a show before they are returned to thier coops, thi sinsures we do not get anything alive in the pens except the birds, we too have brought them home before and fought to get them out of the flock now everything gets bathed or dipped before they leave and when they return.

Our Prevention works fairly well but nothing is fool proof, Dip with Permethrin every 4-6 weeks as a preventative, use Ivermectin (great wormer too) every 45 days, bath and dip before leaving and when returning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by