Mites??? (sorry I am new)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dar, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know this has most likely been disscussed somewhere on here but I cant find it...

Mites , fleas, and other creepy crawlers...

I am a VERY new chicken mom and I am trying to learn all I can to make my girls happy but I am confused on DE, and poultry dust and other remedys for icky thngs in my coop..

should I wait till I see thigs crawling or treat from the beginning?...should I dust my girls directly or just in the corers and floor of my coop...where do I buy this stuff from? I live in Guelph Ontario... I buy my equipment (feeders, waters ect from TSC...but I buy feed from my local feed store and I dont remember seeing any pest control from any of these places... thanks for everyones help in advance...

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Click the "Search" feature above in the blue bar.

Put in 'Mites and treatment and DE" and see what you can find.

Or just browse through the diseases category. There are tons of threads that answer your questions.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Welcome to chickens and BYC.

The recommendation would be prevention. It's harder to get rid of them once you have them. DE is not easy to find and there are many different grades so make sure you aren't steered in the wrong direction. I live in Western, NY and my TSC does not carry it. In fact most of the stores around me don't. I did find a small organic market that has some. She was pricey but I bought it. I would do an internet search for it ( food grade or by brand name Perma-Guard ) and you can get it delivered.
    You dust it in the whole coop and nesting area, and if possible provide a dusting bin for your birds with that in it. If they aren't interested in the bath you can dust them yourselves with it.
    There are many things on this site that will give you opinions, etc. about DE. I use a small amount, but DE is also to blame for loss of good insects like honey bees so be careful how you use it. If just in the coop and on chickens, you should be fine. Just don't go scattering it all over your yard and stuff.

Hope that helps.

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can see how to treat mites on my site HERE and HERE . Hope that helps!

5. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    We dust our coop and our birds I use an old pantyhose ( I wear gloves) fill the hose with de tie off and get each bird under the wings and around tail vent area I then sift it into the shavings on the floor. I have lost birds from mites so I tend to go a little overboard. You will get many answers about how often I do each bird about every 1 1/2 to 2 months then quick sprinkle in the coop inbetween. Be very careful FOOD GRADE DE ONLY and make sure area is ventilated.
    Kasi

6. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I am new too and this was a question I needed answers to also. THANKS! [​IMG]

7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by