Mites: Tips, Tricks, Best Practices

BunkyB

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Blue Mountain, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi there wconstantine , I personally use a louse powder or best described as a tick and mite powder. Being from Eastern Canada the brand names are different but as a rule ticks and mites like the corners and dark places so I sprinkle this powder in the corners of each nesting box and some on the bottom as well. Then around my coops I sprinkle in all the corners and darkened spots where they can hide out and multiply.

I will even put powder in the dust bathing areas at least once a week and lat the birds roll in it while dust bathing and it seems to work quite well. They are a bugger to get rid of but persistence pays off in the long run. It must be working good and I never come out of the coops with the vermin crawling on my arms so I consider that a good sign... Good luck and see if your supplier or members here at the BYC for suggested powders or sprays. Steve

wconstantine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Hampton, New York
  Hi there wconstantine , I personally use a louse powder or best described as a tick and mite powder. Being from Eastern Canada the brand names are different but as a rule ticks and mites like the corners and dark places so I sprinkle this powder in the corners of each nesting box and some on the bottom as well. Then around my coops I sprinkle in all the corners and darkened spots where they can hide out and multiply.

I will even put powder in the dust bathing areas at least once a week and lat the birds roll in it while dust bathing and it seems to work quite well. They are a bugger to get rid of but persistence pays off in the long run. It must be working good and I never come out of the coops with the vermin crawling on my arms so I consider that a good sign...  Good luck and see if your supplier or members here at the BYC for suggested powders or sprays.         Steve

Too funny, I just did that today! I found after researching it was a lice issue and got some Poultry Protector and Diatomaceous dust ...

Top Bottom