Mites won’t go away.

Mpirgou

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
Long Island, NY
Hello,
I have a mite infestation in my coop. I cleaned it out sprayed with permethrin and also sprinkled permethrin powder afterward. But I still see a few mites here and there but definitely not as many.

As for the chickens I applied ivermectin pour on. How long does that take to kill mites? It’s been two days and I still see them on the birds. I also dusted them with the permethrin powder.

any help would be appreciated.

How often are you spraying the coop and birds with the pernethrin?
Do it no less than every 5 days for at least 3 treatments.

I gave up and got rid of my mite infested coop. Those store-bought coops like they sell at Costco are notorious for getting full of mites. Not sure what your coop situation is, just sharing my experience.

I agree with @Kiki. I use permethrin. It has worked well for me. I have posted this before. I used poultry dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the pests can hide. It's best to clean out the coop before you spray. I use pine shavings in my coops. I wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. I do weekly sprayings for awhile and put permethrin dust in the nest boxes, originally I sprayed the birds getting under the wings and worked it through their feathers with gloves which you can also do with the dust. If you dust the birds, do it until they look like a powdered doughnut. Permethrin only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. TSC and Amazoncarries the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. I use the concentrate. It did not affect the birds but I did keep them out of the coops while it dried. I spray my coops as needed and when I spray I do weekly spraying for 3 or 4 weeks then stop as I don't want the pests to develop a resistance to the permethrin. Repeated weekly spraying is necessary because again, it does not kill the pests eggs and as an added benefit is there is no egg withdrawal period. There are other products available but much more expensive, and in my opinion the permethrin works great. Good luck...

ChickenMites.jpg

Permethrin-10.jpg

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 10
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 9
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 12
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PermethrinSprayB.jpg
    PermethrinSprayB.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 5
I agree with @Kiki. I use permethrin. It has worked well for me. I have posted this before. I used poultry dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the pests can hide. It's best to clean out the coop before you spray. I use pine shavings in my coops. I wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. I do weekly sprayings for awhile and put permethrin dust in the nest boxes, originally I sprayed the birds getting under the wings and worked it through their feathers with gloves which you can also do with the dust. If you dust the birds, do it until they look like a powdered doughnut. Permethrin only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. TSC and Amazoncarries the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. I use the concentrate. It did not affect the birds but I did keep them out of the coops while it dried. I spray my coops as needed and when I spray I do weekly spraying for 3 or 4 weeks then stop as I don't want the pests to develop a resistance to the permethrin. Repeated weekly spraying is necessary because again, it does not kill the pests eggs and as an added benefit is there is no egg withdrawal period. There are other products available but much more expensive, and in my opinion the permethrin works great. Good luck...

ChickenMites.jpg

Permethrin-10.jpg
Thank you for the help, so is the ivermectin pointless? Should I even follow up with it

I wouldn't bother with it. Follow our directions for the permethrin and you should be able to get rid of them. You may need the severe infestation dosage I posted above initially and then you can reduce it to the normal and maintenance amount on the followup sprayings. Again, good luck...

Back
Top Bottom