Mites

thunderbird

Chirping
Jun 15, 2016
I believe the coop filled with my older flock of 4 chickens has been infestated with mites. One of my two broodys is sitting on her eggs which are probably on day 15 or so. I went to candle them and when I pulled the egg out from under her I noticed dozens of small mites crawling up my arm. I looked around the nest box and noticed tons of them. Please help me get rid of these things in fact I can see one crawling across my phone screen as I type this. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to take a shower because I can feel them crawling all over me

There's the broody and nesting box

I believe the coop filled with my older flock of 4 chickens has been infestated with mites. One of my two broodys is sitting on her eggs which are probably on day 15 or so. I went to candle them and when I pulled the egg out from under her I noticed dozens of small mites crawling up my arm. I looked around the nest box and noticed tons of them. Please help me get rid of these things in fact I can see one crawling across my phone screen as I type this. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to take a shower because I can feel them crawling all over me

There's the broody and nesting box
They sure love broodies, horrid things!

Many people use permethrin spray. I can't get that where I am so I used Neem oil to paint the nestboxes and roosts in the coop. Get one that will mix with water (I diluted it 50% with water), though you can paint it on neat. A bit smelly, but does the trick.

You could also get some Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator to use on the birds, even newly hatched chicks (it's safe to use on finch chicks and eggs) provided you don't intend to eat any of your birds.

I hope you haven't got bitten - it's so itchy (speaking from experience).

They sure love broodies, horrid things!

Many people use permethrin spray.  I can't get that where I am so I used Neem oil to paint the nestboxes and roosts in the coop.  Get one that will mix with water (I diluted it 50% with water), though you can paint it on neat.  A bit smelly, but does the trick.

You could also get some Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator to use on the birds, even newly hatched chicks (it's safe to use on finch chicks and eggs) provided you don't intend to eat any of your birds. 

I hope you haven't got bitten - it's so itchy (speaking from experience). 

Thank you for the very info filled response. Will see what I can do

Honestly im not experienced enough to really tell for sure but could be lice. Try making your own thread so that more people can see

Is this mites/ lice or is she just going through juvenile molt? She is 10 weeks old today.

Mites like wood, and straw. I would clean the coop out, and replace straw with wood chips.
When hens are broody they are more vulnerable to mites, since they aren't out and dust bathing every day. Here are some tips and methods to break a broody in this thread:
How to Break a Broody Hen
The Chicken Chick talks a lot about mites and their treatment in this article, you like want to check that out to. Others will probably be able to help you on what brand of poultry dust/spray you would need/want to buy. There are also natural ways to manage mites, like neem oil.
here is The Chicken Chicks's Mite article:
The Chicken Chick: Poultry Lice and Mites Identification and Treatment

Mites like wood, and straw. I would clean the coop out, and replace straw with wood chips. 
When hens are broody they are more vulnerable to mites, since they aren't out and dust bathing every day. Here are some tips and methods to break a broody in this thread: 
How to Break a Broody Hen 
The Chicken Chick talks a lot about mites and their treatment in this article, you like want to check that out to. Others will probably be able to help you on what brand of poultry dust/spray you would need/want to buy. There are also natural ways to manage mites, like neem oil.
here is The Chicken Chicks's Mite article:
The Chicken Chick: Poultry Lice and Mites Identification and Treatment

Thank you for the response, when I get home I'll work on cleaning the coop out and try to get my hands on that elector poultry spray. I have no intent on breaking the broody at this point because shes never hatched any before and has had like 4 failed attempts over the past few years, she doesn't quit either if I break her she will be broody again In like a month or so. I might try and relocate her i just don't know where but I'll figure something out

Thank you for the response, when I get home I'll work on cleaning the coop out and try to get my hands on that elector poultry spray. I have no intent on breaking the broody at this point because shes never hatched any before and has had like 4 failed attempts over the past few years, she doesn't quit either if I break her she will be broody again In like a month or so. I might try and relocate her i just don't know where but I'll figure something out
No problem!
sounds good. My austrolorp gets broody almost every year, once she just went broody because another hen of mine was, silly bird
roll.png
I hope if you relocate your broody she finds a nice home!

have a good day,
Donut Cream

You might want to consider using Diatomaceous Earth. Get the white, food grade, freshwater type.
It is actually very very tiny shells of sea creatures. Any insect with a carapace ( hard shell) that
comes in contact with the DE, gets dried out and dies. It works on all kinds of insects. It is not
harmful. Just don't breathe the 'dust' as you sprinkle. It has the consistency of flour. You can
dust the bird with it yourself, and the coop and nest boxes. It is also good internally for worms
in chickens, dogs, horses, and people! There are many articles on youtube about diatomaceous
earth. I take it and my dog gets some on his food. My chickens will get it when they are grown,
and I will use it in the coop. It provides lots of minerals as well.

Back
Top Bottom