Mites?

mjlovejoy1

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2018
I have a hen that was attacked by our dog when it got into the yard where the dogs run and have been rehabbing her in our 3 season room. After giving her some food & water, I washed my hands, and was sitting in a chair. It kept feeling like something was crawling on my face. I looked in the mirror, & had a tiny little bug crawling. Eww. After doing some research, thinking it may be mites. I then went out & was looking at a few of the other hens, around the vents, & there was a small black bug. But it is much bigger than the ones on the other hen. How do I determine either is a mite? And do they cause feather loss?

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Here's a good article with photos to help you i.d. the bugs that you saw https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

If you saw bugs around the vents, the treat the whole flock with a pemethrin based poultry spray or dust. Clean out bedding and treat the coop. Repeat in 7-10 days to kill any that have hatched.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
There are many products on the market that you should be able to find in feed stores like Tractor Supply. Dusts, pre-mixed sprays and concentrates that you mix yourself.

41xLaP0vFqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

414dSRHdLCL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom