Mites!!! :-(

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
So about 2 weeks ago i noticed mites on a few of the eggs i collected. I had 13 eggs and 3 mites. So next day on the roosting bars i night i tried to inspect them. Didn’t see anything but the girls were very hestitant to let me inspect.

Weekend came and it was nice so i gutted the whole coop. And i mean whole coop. It’s the back half of a 10x10 shed and i pulled every single thing out of the whole shed. Swept, wiped, changed liter, sprayed permethrin 10.

Couple days later i didn’t get the eggs until dark and lo and behold like 20 mites on them this time. Inspected the birds again and found a few on one.

Added quite a bit of DE, sand and wood ash to refresh dust bath yesterday. Checked today and the one that had a few had more than i wanted to count.

All are still acting in good health and laying regularly. If i didn’t find one on the eggs i wouldn’t have known they had them.

How long must this go on?!?!? Used permethrin 10 2 applications so far. I am so frustrated!

So about 2 weeks ago i noticed mites on a few of the eggs i collected. I had 13 eggs and 3 mites. So next day on the roosting bars i night i tried to inspect them. Didn’t see anything but the girls were very hestitant to let me inspect.

Weekend came and it was nice so i gutted the whole coop. And i mean whole coop. It’s the back half of a 10x10 shed and i pulled every single thing out of the whole shed. Swept, wiped, changed liter, sprayed permethrin 10.

Couple days later i didn’t get the eggs until dark and lo and behold like 20 mites on them this time. Inspected the birds again and found a few on one.

Added quite a bit of DE, sand and wood ash to refresh dust bath yesterday. Checked today and the one that had a few had more than i wanted to count.

All are still acting in good health and laying regularly. If i didn’t find one on the eggs i wouldn’t have known they had them.

How long must this go on?!?!? Used permethrin 10 2 applications so far. I am so frustrated!

permethrin is not going to help. unfortunatelly I don't know what products you have in your country.

I have been fighting these buggers for a year and a half. I started reading about the life cycle of mites and found conflicting information. One site says 3 weeks, dig deeper and some say 3 months. (it's definitely not 3 weeks, I can confirm that!) I've tried dusting, bathing, spinosads, permethrin and have moved on to trying liberty 50 (permethrine and pyiproxfen) frontline (fipronil =s-methoprene). Next, I'm washing everyone, frontlining and moving to a coop that hasn't been occupied since November. Wish me luck. I'm crossing every appendage I own.

Well that’s pretty complicated. It’s so dark and i am trying to balance the chicken, camera and the flash light. I am certain they are mites and i am seeing adult and eggs.

What were you hoping to see in a pic?
Pictures are just for curiosity mainly :)

Are they eggs like qtips on the feather shafts and the crawlies tan in color or are they red fowl mites?
https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

I was also wondering why the Permethrin was not taking care of them.

I've been dealing with mites on my birds since last year, and it's about reinfection here. the permethrin kills them, but then the wild house wrens bring in new ones weekly. :he
Unless I keep the flock totally inside, this will continue to happen. My current plan is to stay ahead of severe infestations and try to keep smiling.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom