Mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Korzak, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Korzak

Korzak Songster

Oct 25, 2014
    Hamden, CT
    These little tiny things have been crawling on one board of our coop for a couple days. At first I thought that it was a spider clutch hatching, bit now I'm not so sure.

They stay on the same area, and are about the size of a pinhead, if that.

Thanks!! IMG_20190708_090852.jpg IMG_20190708_091102.jpg

CCUK likes this.
  2. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    They look like redmite. The nemesis of many a poultry keeper! Get some permethrin spray and douse them! Put some permethrin powder in the nest boxes and all around the cracks in the wood. Check your birds too. They may need dusting.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. I use the powder on the birds and in the nest boxes. I spray the coops thoroughly and repeat weekly for awhile because it does not kill mite eggs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    They look too dark for red mites and I think they are Northern Fowl mites.
    You need to not only eradicate them from the coop, you need to check every single one of your chickens. The so called red mite is only red after feeding. It's the chickens blood that makes them turn red. Unfed they are translucent.
    The problem is Northern Fowl mite live on the chicken while red mite do not.
    All the same treatments will kill both types of mite. However, an infestation of Northern Fowl mite is likely to give you sick chickens rather rapidly.

Meg-in-MT likes this.
  5. Lindsay1976

Lindsay1976 In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    Hiya guys. I've brought 2 chickens who have brought there friends and a lot of them. I've treated my whole flock using virbac effipro. Dabed under wing n back of there heads, I've been advised not to eat there eggs for 28 days but the withdrawal period for oral canker medicine was only 1 week... Thoughts please and thank you xx

Attached Files:

roosterhavoc likes this.
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Personally I don't think I would use it. I'll stick with the permethrin with no egg withdrawal and it works well for me.

Lindsay1976 and CCUK like this.
  7. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    I use fipronil too. It works far better and is longer lasting than anything else you’ll see recommended here. It does have a much longer residual and it’s not approved for poultry but neither is half the stuff people use. I eat eggs all the time and don’t bother waiting. I’m fine so far but I could go belly up 5 min from now so who knows. :rolleyes:

Lindsay1976 likes this.
  8. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I just googled fipronil. I didn't realise it was basically frontline for dogs and cats. It shouldn't be used on animals under 5 kg. There ain't many chickens that big! Also if you were to use it there would be at least an 8week withdrawal. It also has something in it that has been linked to cancer. Have a read.
    https://www.tillysnest.com/2017/08/frontline-chickens/

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I read the same article. I won't use anything that isn't labeled for use on livestock. Dogs and cats aren't meant to be eaten even though there are people in the world that do.

10. SOHC-FTW

SOHC-FTW Free Ranging

Apr 11, 2016
    BFyougottapurddymouth
    I use it, it works great the chickens taste pretty good. Everything causes cancer these days or so they say that's nothing new better get use to that.

Lindsay1976 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: