Mites???

trudes19

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
Are these mites?

2 weeks ago we had a chicken die... then another a couple days later. I noticed these bugs on the last one. I removed remaining hens from the coop, cleaned them and they have survived. The coop still has mites or whatever these are 2 weeks later. I was hoping without the chickens in there, they would die off, but nope. At night you can see them moving around. So obviously, they aren't leaving, so I'm going to clean it up top to bottom, but any help or suggestions would be helpful. Ive read that there are different remedies depending on which kind of mite or parasite.

Attachments

• mites.jpg
    mites.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 47
You need a product containing permethrin, or the more expensive Elector PSP. The coop has to be cleaned out and sprayed, all bedding removed and discarded (burned if possible), and replaced with fresh. You have to treat both the birds and the coop to get rid of them, and usually at least three times at weekly intervals if using permethrin, which is most common. Eggs will continue to hatch a new batch, which is why repeated treatments are necessary to get rid of them.
Here's more info:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Welcome!
I've had very good experiences with the permethrin spray concentrate, used as directed, and there's no egg withdrawal with it.
Keep your cats outside of the coop until everything is dry, and it's fine. Just don't get spray on them!
Spinosad works fine too, and it's $$$, and I'll use it someday, if the permethrin fails. I think it makes sense to use the older product first, and save the expensive stuff for later, much later.
If you are in the USA, this is all good advice here. Elsewhere, other products might be needed.
Any insecticide will work, but pyrethrum, permethrin, and spinosad are the approved useful products in the USA. Don't use other stuff out there!
Mites and lice will turn up sometimes, because the wild birds bring them to your flock. It's a pain, and necessary to be vigilant to avoid deaths. It happened to three of my birds one year, before I got wise! Awful!
Mary

Thank you. We lost a few. Had no idea why. It's been a while, but I wonder if this was the problem...

I just checked the coop hens as well. They are all pecking under their wings, and some have missing but feathers. They look much better than the free range ones (out because of bullies) but my husband tried to transition one back into the flock last week, and I think he spread it to everybody. :he
I'll be going to town today and he'll be cleaning the coop. Sigh.

Oh gosh - my girls definitely have mites. :barnie Ok, now I need to decide which product to get. My cooped birds are healthy and beautiful. Only the free range girls look feather picked and poopy butts. Weird.

I read on another site about egg withdrawal. What is the withdrawal time with Premethrin, and what is the risk to kitties?

I'm afraid of the extra cost of Elector PSP, but it sounds so much better...

Can anybody give their wonderful experience with Premethrin, to help my choice? Also...these girls are free range and roost in the goat barn at night. There's no coop to clean, and I wouldn't even know where to start in the barn...any suggestions or thoughts? :th

Oh gosh - my girls definitely have mites. :barnie Ok, now I need to decide which product to get. My cooped birds are healthy and beautiful. Only the free range girls look feather picked and poopy butts. Weird.

I read on another site about egg withdrawal. What is the withdrawal time with Premethrin, and what is the risk to kitties?

I'm afraid of the extra cost of Elector PSP, but it sounds so much better...

Can anybody give their wonderful experience with Premethrin, to help my choice? Also...these girls are free range and roost in the goat barn at night. There's no coop to clean, and I wouldn't even know where to start in the barn...any suggestions or thoughts? :th
Don't directly spray your cats with the penetrant and there shouldn't be any problems.

Spray all of the birds weekly for no less than 3 weeks.
Spray whatever wood you can in your barn.

Back
Top Bottom