Mites...

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
So noticed my older hen loosing some feathers there are new ones growing in there place. But the issue i discovered is i saw a mite crawling on her new feathers.. so i dusted her and the other two hens she sleeps with i have 8 all together but they sleep separately. I recently cleaned the coop so I covered the whole floor with DE and sprayed both roots and nesting boxes with a mixer i found online ( 2 cups water, 1 cup oil and 1 Tablespoon dish soap. Is there anything else I can do?? I haven't had mite in the past that I know of so I want to eradicate them before of if they already have a foot hold.. Thank you for any advice you can give!! :D

DE is not an effective treatment for ectoparasites, I don't think the mixture you made will do much either. I would suggest going back to the store and picking up a Permethrin-based spray or powder.

The powder can be applied on directly, but the spray will have to be diluted down per the directions on the bottle. Spray/dust each bird down, mainly under the wings and vent. Also, spray/dust down the whole coop. The whole process will need to be repeated since this won't kill the eggs.

https://www.gordonsusa.com/products/animal-insect-control/permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray/
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/y-tex-gardstar-garden-poultry-dust

DE is not an effective treatment for ectoparasites, I don't think the mixture you made will do much either. I would suggest going back to the store and picking up a Permethrin-based spray or powder.

The powder can be applied on directly, but the spray will have to be diluted down per the directions on the bottle. Spray/dust each bird down, mainly under the wings and vent. Also, spray/dust down the whole coop. The whole process will need to be repeated since this won't kill the eggs.

https://www.gordonsusa.com/products/animal-insect-control/permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray/
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/y-tex-gardstar-garden-poultry-dust

Thank you I will try it!

2x the Permethrin based spay for the coop & everything in it, nest boxes included. You can also spray the birds at night when they roost. DE is a "preventative" which I use, sometimes mixing it with Garden & Poultry Dust (permethrin) to dust them monthly. In the past we used used Sevin which is not recommenced anymore but I still use it, again a mix with DE.

Whenever I change out shavings (1 - 2x year) I dust the ground & new shavings with DE in their Chicken House, my girls are confined and the CH is enclosed with 1" chicken wire so the wild birds can't get in but I do sprinkle the surrounding area with DE regularly.

2x the Permethrin based spay for the coop & everything in it, nest boxes included. You can also spray the birds at night when they roost. DE is a "preventative" which I use, sometimes mixing it with Garden & Poultry Dust (permethrin) to dust them monthly. In the past we used used Sevin which is not recommenced anymore but I still use it, again a mix with DE.

Whenever I change out shavings (1 - 2x year) I dust the ground & new shavings with DE in their Chicken House, my girls are confined and the CH is enclosed with 1" chicken wire so the wild birds can't get in but I do sprinkle the surrounding area with DE regularly.
Thank you! So do I have to delete the spray? And can I clean the coop spray then lay down new shavings? Or should I wait for it to dry?

Thank you! So do I have to delete the spray? And can I clean the coop spray then lay down new shavings? Or should I wait for it to dry?

The Permethrin is in concentrate form, needs to be diluted, directions on container.

If you clean out the coop, spray every crack and under roosts before putting down new shavings. Don't think necessary to wait til dry before the shavings go in. You could just spray with the shaving in, kind of rake it about & spray. If you spray at roosting time, you'll be able to spray the undersides of the chickens that are on the roost. Making sure the ventilation is good but no chill factor.

Sorry for the delay in response.

The Permethrin is in concentrate form, needs to be diluted, directions on container.

If you clean out the coop, spray every crack and under roosts before putting down new shavings. Don't think necessary to wait til dry before the shavings go in. You could just spray with the shaving in, kind of rake it about & spray. If you spray at roosting time, you'll be able to spray the undersides of the chickens that are on the roost. Making sure the ventilation is good but no chill factor.

Sorry for the delay in response.
Thanks thats just about what I did. I'm about dead from exhaustion lol I grabbed 5 out of my 8 hens that I could get while they where outside foraging. And really wetted there buts and under there wings. The other 3 ill gave to wait till they roost to spray. I think the mites came in a mew bedding i tried because I've never had issue before. So I switch back to pine shavings just to be safe...

Also how often should I respray the coop/hens with the spray? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom