Mites

Karenin

Chirping
Nov 19, 2020
Hi, just recently I saw that one of my chickens has missing feathers around his vent I looked at it and thought I saw a bug. After checking the internet I learned that he probably has mites. Does anyone know how to treat it? Also today I was holding him and just now I saw a small red mite near me. Could they get on me too and if so how do you get rid of mites on humans?

Hi, just recently I saw that one of my chickens has missing feathers around his vent I looked at it and thought I saw a bug. After checking the internet I learned that he probably has mites. Does anyone know how to treat it? Also today I was holding him and just now I saw a small red mite near me. Could they get on me too and if so how do you get rid of mites on humans?
The link below has good photos of poultry lice and mites.
You can find permethrin based poultry sprays/dusts at stores like TSC.
Treat your all your birds and their housing in 7 day intervals. Poultry lice/mites could get on you and bite/cause irritation, but you are not their host, so they should not stay long.
After treating your birds and doing your clean-out/treatment of housing, launder your clothes and get a shower, you should be fine.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

You may see similar items like these in your store, they can be used to treat birds and housing.
1623728525501.png
1623728532035.png
1623728548275.png

I noticed my Polish is losing quite a few feathers and flicking his head and tonight he was like a dog with fleas going at the tip end of his back above tail feathers.
I tried looking but I can't tell.
So if I get this really expensive

Elector PSP Premise Spray​

how do I spray it on the chicks (7 wks old) without getting it in their eyes/faces?
Is there a recommended sprayer to use for both the coop/run and chicks?
First make sure they have bugs....and what kind.
7 week old birds may be going thru a juvenile molt.
The oil gland is at the base of tail, they use that when preening.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

The link below has good photos of poultry lice and mites.
You can find permethrin based poultry sprays/dusts at stores like TSC.
Treat your all your birds and their housing in 7 day intervals. Poultry lice/mites could get on you and bite/cause irritation, but you are not their host, so they should not stay long.
After treating your birds and doing your clean-out/treatment of housing, launder your clothes and get a shower, you should be fine.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

You may see similar items like these in your store, they can be used to treat birds and housing.
View attachment 2719020View attachment 2719021View attachment 2719022
Thank you for the help! That article had a lot of good info!

Do I need to put out anything to prevent mites n lice coming? Proactive rather than reactive as I have been itching ever since I read up on these things!
No!
Best not to use insecticides preventatively, it can cause resistance....
....then they might not work if and when you really need them.

Keeping wild birds and rodents out of your coop and run is the best preventative.
..and do a bug check regularly.

I noticed my Polish is losing quite a few feathers and flicking his head and tonight he was like a dog with fleas going at the tip end of his back above tail feathers.
I tried looking but I can't tell.
So if I get this really expensive

Elector PSP Premise Spray​

how do I spray it on the chicks (7 wks old) without getting it in their eyes/faces?
Is there a recommended sprayer to use for both the coop/run and chicks?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
Ok thank u @aart for the details- I needed that help most definitely

Ok @aart I got them all looked over as best I could. I didn't see anything that I could tell. They are all scratching. I didnt see anything crawling in coop. I will do the smear test on boards in them for the red fowl mites as you suggested.
I've been wondering what these were on my blue silkie's head and neck as well as the standing white silkie in 2nd pic...is this possibly molting? It kinda looks like the quill...is that what it is called that the feather grows up out of?

Attachments

• 20210623_174836.jpg
    20210623_174836.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210623_173129.jpg
    20210623_173129.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom