Mites

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
Hello!

Yesterday I noticed poopy feathers around one of my hens vents. This is the first time it has happened to her and since she does not have a fluffy butt, I figured to check on it. Glad I did! I found mites!

Now I have been reading through numerous things and came to the conclusion that permethrin spray/dust is the way to go.

But I have questions on how to apply it. (Its my first time dealing with mites)

For the coop i figured I could just clean everything out, throw out the old bedding and whatnot. But I have plastic containers and metal racking in there. Do I have to wash that down? Can I just spray it with the permethrin? After I spray the coop down and the roosts down, do I physically have to scrub it? How often should I be messing with the bedding (spraying it or completely changing it out) I use wood shavings for the entire coop and they have a dirt run. Do I need to treat the run?

I figured I could use ethe permethrin powder in the nesting boxes and kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Get the underside of the bird while also getting the nesting boxes.

Also my hens are flighty when it comes to me actually grabbing them. They are fine when I walk around them, but picking them up is where they draw the line. So what would be the best way for me to treat them? I don't really have anyone helping me. If I put the perm. dust down on the roosts, would that help? I have saddles on some of my hens. Should I take those off for now until the mites are gone?

Since you said you've been reading through things, you may have already decided against this, but if not...consider Elector PSP. It's safe for you to get on you (I really don't like getting covered in permethrin or breathing it in) and is approved for organic gardening. For many it's been a "once and done" treatment for mites but even if not you don't have to do it nearly as often as it kills eggs also. Another plus is not having to do as thorough a job on the bedding and coop (though I would still use a pressure sprayer to dampen the walls, corners, nest boxes, coops, etc. I also find it way easier to apply by myself by making up a solution in a 5 gallon bucket and dunking the chicken up to the neck. They calm down immediately once in the "bath" and it just takes seconds to move their wings and feathers to be sure they're wet down....let them go and they dry in just a couple hours on a hot day. It's amazing stuff.

I read about that, but the thing is... I don't have that sort of money and I believe I have to ship it from out of the country? Either way, I want to make sure I can treat them as much as I can before I leave for vacation later in August. Permethrin 10 is available now at TSC. Do you think I can make the same type of deal and dunk them in the bucket like you do with the PSP? If there is an alternative that I can go and grab of the PSP I would go for it, but as far as I know its just that.
Elector is available a number of places online in the US but I agree it's pricy. It can be worth it because it's so effective and lasts forever (can be shared with another chicken keeper) but I get not wanting to spend that much and being in a hurry! Yes, you can definitely make a dip and dunk them with permethrin...probably more effective that way as well.

From what I read and depending on the mite, it seems that once a week for three times would be the best plan to catch the ones hatching at different stages of their life cycle. That would get them treated right before you leave so at that point they would in the best shape you can get them. That might end the problem but if not, you can check them when you get back and figure out how to proceed.
Youre amazing thank you!

I have used Elector PSP but it is quite expensive and in my opinion permethrin works great. Even with Elector PSP it states in it's fact sheet that repeat treatments may be needed. I mix my concentrate at 0.50% ratio. Weekly treatments are a must because it does not kill the pests eggs so weekly repeat treatments are necessary for 3 or 4 weeks and will kill the pests eggs as they hatch out. You can also get the premixed spray. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Here is a chart a BYC member made for the different solutions. Good luck...
I do this.
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 10
Since you said you've been reading through things, you may have already decided against this, but if not...consider Elector PSP. It's safe for you to get on you (I really don't like getting covered in permethrin or breathing it in) and is approved for organic gardening. For many it's been a "once and done" treatment for mites but even if not you don't have to do it nearly as often as it kills eggs also. Another plus is not having to do as thorough a job on the bedding and coop (though I would still use a pressure sprayer to dampen the walls, corners, nest boxes, coops, etc. I also find it way easier to apply by myself by making up a solution in a 5 gallon bucket and dunking the chicken up to the neck. They calm down immediately once in the "bath" and it just takes seconds to move their wings and feathers to be sure they're wet down....let them go and they dry in just a couple hours on a hot day. It's amazing stuff.
I read about that, but the thing is... I don't have that sort of money and I believe I have to ship it from out of the country? Either way, I want to make sure I can treat them as much as I can before I leave for vacation later in August. Permethrin 10 is available now at TSC. Do you think I can make the same type of deal and dunk them in the bucket like you do with the PSP? If there is an alternative that I can go and grab of the PSP I would go for it, but as far as I know its just that.

Elector is available a number of places online in the US but I agree it's pricy. It can be worth it because it's so effective and lasts forever (can be shared with another chicken keeper) but I get not wanting to spend that much and being in a hurry! Yes, you can definitely make a dip and dunk them with permethrin...probably more effective that way as well.
I read that it doesn't kill the eggs, so should I do weekly treatments until they are all gone? Or since I leave soon, should I spray them down like twice a week? 3 times? I leave the 20th and won't be back until the 27th. During that week could the mites come back in full force?? I plan on changing out the bedding and putting the dust down before I leave and then adding fresh bedding. I'm hoping I caught this early enough to eliminate them soon.

From what I read and depending on the mite, it seems that once a week for three times would be the best plan to catch the ones hatching at different stages of their life cycle. That would get them treated right before you leave so at that point they would in the best shape you can get them. That might end the problem but if not, you can check them when you get back and figure out how to proceed.

Okay! So last week I used the powder on my chickens, but I wanna try the liquid on them this time. I think I figured out the ratio needed, but I want to double check.

The bottle I have is 32fl oz.

The instructions say...
Dilution Rate (parts product to parts water) 1:200
Then it gives me some conversions. With the lowest being (amount product per water volume) 8fl oz per 12.5 gal.

So I don't think I did the math right for a 32 fl oz bottle I would use .166 fl oz of product? That seems a little low to me...

Also...
Would it be better to spray them down or dip them basically? If its better to dip them can someone provide instructions?

Do I also have to change the flake bedding every week until the mites are gone?

Back
Top Bottom