1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by huntermett, Apr 9, 2009.

1. huntermett

huntermett Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Claremore
    question is there a solution that you can put on your poultry that is like frontline ? the reason why i ask i have a silkie hen that had been dusted prior to purchase, and now im having issues with her eyes . there was a large amount of powder in her topnot . i have been putting terramycin ointment in the corner of each eye daily trying to clear up the matting that keeps forming. please tell me im doing the right thing . i would hate to lose this hen as she has great qualities that i wish to introduce to my future chicks.
    thanks Robert

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    research frontline spray and also ivermectin in use with poultry.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I took my chicken to the vet one time for something unrelated, but while I was there I asked her to look up the correct dosage for Ivermectin for chickens and she told me it was 0.2 ml per Kg of body weight.

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Ivermectrin can be sprayed or given orally (poisons blood, safe level for bird but toxic for internal and external parasites). Permethrin can be used as a "dip." But I just prefer to break federal law and use Zodiac. [​IMG] Or you can make your own flea and tick spray. Mix two quarts of rubbing alcohol with two ounces of permethrin. Be sure to mix well before each use as I think the permethrin is oil based (it separates from the alcohol). Then just spray it on as necessary. The alcohol will instantly kill all bugs and the permethrin will prevent further infestation. I call it the Mite Mix.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Moody Chicken....can the "Mite Mix" be used as prevention if they don't have any to start with?

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yup, the permithrin will help prevent bugs.

7. huntermett

huntermett Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Claremore
    thanks you guys i sometimes get amazed at the wealth of information i receive from here

8. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

just remember that permithrin is toxic to cats...so don't spray it around or on them.

Sandra

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That is excellent information! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by