Mites...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tomorton, May 28, 2010.

1. tomorton

tomorton In the Brooder

May 17, 2009
    I have a recurring mite problem...the hens backs and vent areas are mostly affected...skin looks red and irritated, feathers either falling out or pulled out. I have treated birds and coop with sevin dust which seems to help for a while. My question is ithis; can I use a flea bomb (containing premethrin) in the coop...after removing all feed and water, of course. Has anyone ever done this? or should I continue the battle with sevin dust. I feel that I am not getting all the crevices in the coop adequately.
    Thanks!

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I have a similar problem-can you see mites? I have inspected my chickens and don't see anything, but have contemplated sevin dust. Do you put it all over the coop??

3. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Songster

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    May I suggest that you read the thread about diatomaceous earth? It is not a poison, but will help with the mites.

4. halfpint512

halfpint512 In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Chippewa Falls
    You really need to get Food Grade DE, as already suggested. Besides taking care of the mites and such - it also takes away the poo smell!!!! I Love the stuff!

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I used it last year...it is a great thing also helps with flies. I have run out for the very short time being-will get some next time I can get to the store that carries it. Thanks!

6. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Treating for mites is a two step process. First you treat your birds and the areas they live in. Then about a week later, you must repeat the treatment, because the eggs laid before the first treatment will not be affected and will hatch out. If you're skipping the second step, that may be why you have a recurring problem.

DE can be helpful at preventing a mite infestation, but I wouldn't rely on it to get rid of one.

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    So, Sevin dust is what you would recommend to spread around the coop and run as well as on the chickens? Someone had said to actually put each chicken in a pillow case with some sevin and shake...is that humane??

8. tomorton

tomorton In the Brooder

May 17, 2009
    I use the food grade DE..they have it on a constant basis for dust baths, and I sprinkle it in the coop....I have dusted the chickens and the coop with Sevin..waited two weeks and done it again..maybe the two week interval is too long? .seems to clear up for a while..then infestation reoccurs..I do not see any mites on the birds..but its my understanding that some species go on the birds at night to feed..then return to their hidey holes in the coop. I should add that this is a PUBLIC farm..so who knows who is bringing what in on their feet. Maybe I could try a spray of carbaryl (sevin) that they sell for vegetables..and really soak all the nooks and crannys of the coop? When I bring a chicken home and isolate it on my own property..they generally clear up in a couple of weeks and feathers start to grow back in...I do NOT have this issue with my own flock. At home I have chickens and quail and they always have the DE available
    Thanks for all the advice!

Tom

9. darbella

darbella Songster

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You leave their head out of the top and close the bag around them. Kind of "massage the sevin powder all over them. I use the Iver On cattle pour on as it treats for biting/sucking lice and mites and also acts as a wormer. I got the dosages here on BYC. If you search the threads i am sure you can find the info. 2-4 drops to the skin between the shoulder blades quarterly and it does the trick! I was also wondering at one time if a flea bomb could be used in a coop? I wonder, just as a preventative measure.

10. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Songster

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Why do you prefer food grade DE? Not sure what kind our feed store has, but non food grade should be ok for dust bath tub, no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: