1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I have some OEGBs that had mites ( northern fowl), I treated them with dust and did it again in 2 weeks. That was last week, and I can still see mite eggs on their feathers, but no mites. Are they still contagious?

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably not. However, to be absolutely sure, it wouldn't hurt to dust them a third time at the 14 day interval to be doubly sure you have broken the mite lifecycle. You see, the dust will certainly kill live mites, but not necessarily the eggs. When you retreat them 14 days later, you are doing so to kill any newly hatched mites before they can mature and lay more eggs.

3. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On the mite subject. My mom use to breed Persian cats and used religiously Boric Acid powder for their ears. the vet told her that her cats ears were the nicest free from scratches and cleanest of any of his clients and was wondering what she did. I was thinking of using Boric Acid in powder form on my chickens as a preventative measure. Just wanted to share the thought. Have a great holiday!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:So should I treat them until I no longer see any eggs?

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

No, just until you don't see any bugs. You can wash the feathers to remove some of the ugliness. Some of it is mite excrement, not eggs. That will wash away, but the eggs are sort of cemented to the feathers and you probably will just have to live with those until the next molt.

6. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Well I don't see any bugs anymore. Just the egg-looking things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by