1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    I was told that the folks I purchased my chicks from have a mite infection, and I'm afraid my chicks might have them. I have had the chicks for about 4 weeks & they are now eight weeks old. I have checked them for mites especially around the vent, but I can't see anything, but my vision isn't that great. I thought I'd go ahead & dust them & clean the chicken house & dust that also. What's the best way to appy the powder. One woman said you could put the powder in a bag or pillowcase & stick the chichen into the bag with her head out & shake the dust on to the chicken, or I could put the powder in a old sock & powder it on like a powder puff. I think the bag idea would be scarey for the poor things. Anyone have a perferred way of dusting them?

Herself

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Either way works, I prefer putting them in an old pillowcase with the head sticking out and gently shake and bake. Your choice, you can do it anyway you want.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I just hold the chicken up-side-down by the legs, and give them a good sprinkling.....ruffling those feathers to make sure the powder reaches the skin.

4. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I use a paintbrush and apply against the growth of the feathers. Paintbrushes are easy on small birds and you get to apply the dust exactly where you want it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by