Mites?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justhatched, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I posted in Predators and Pests but not sure where I should put this. I just saw what I think are mites on one of our chicks around his/her vent. I just checked them on Sunday and everyone was clean. How could (s)he gotten them? What is the best way to get rid of them? I was just running around trying to get some new feed for our chicks and was looking for DE I'm not sure what the D stands for but the is is earth. No one had it [​IMG] Help.

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Diatomaceous Earth. I can get the food grade at my feed store, there are also online sources. I know that some people also dust their chickens with Sevin powder. There are also sprays that you can buy at the feed store for mites. I think I even saw some at Petco for pet birds. Good luck with your mites. Keep in mind that you not only have to treat the chickens but the coop too. Get everything out and dust it or spray it down.

3. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I'll keep looking for it at more feed stores. Is Sevin powder just as good? Is it safe? Thanks for the info.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    How old are your chicks? Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is safe for small chicks and can be found at many Farm & Feed Stores and Online. Make sure it is Food Grade because they carry DE at Hardware and Automotive stores but it has added ingredients that are Not safe for pets and not food grade. If you use the search on this site and type in 'What is DE' it will show you blogs with information. Sevin can be used but, I wouldn't dust my chicks with it.
    Good Luck.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I think seven dust is better. It knocks the bugs dead immediately...the DE not so much. I think it's strength lies more in the preventative area.
    sharon

6. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:They are 4 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by