1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I have found that my chickens are being bothered by mites at night in their coop. I noticed these little red bugs moving around the coop the other night while the chickens were roosting. I bought the powder to dust them with but I have a question.

Is there something else I can do inside the coop to get rid of the mites. Is there something I can spray in there? Clorox or something? I've read to dust the coop also but I just don't see how it will kill the bugs because during the day they are hiding. Maybe I just don't understand how this powder works. I decide to quarantine the coop until I can get the problem fixed. Mites live in the coop right not on the chickens?

Thanks for your help.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can try to throw it in the cracks and crevices of the coop, but I buy Adams flea & Tick mist and spray it in the cracks etc.... you can use it on the birds too, a small spritz under each wing and vent.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've used a sprayer with bleachwater in it to take care of all the hiding places, it'll kill mites. Then after it's completely dried, I toss in a big handful of sevin dust and turn the leaf blower on. POOF! I guarantee you the sevin dust goes everywhere inside their house. Wear a mask.

4. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    Thanks for the great ideas. Now I have another question. Do the mites stay on the chickens the whole time or do they live in the coop?

5. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Dawg, what is your concentration of water and bleach please.....we have mites....

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

3 cups of bleach to 5 gallons of water to spray all my coops. I repeat it in about 10 days. I do this once every 6 months when I do a complete cleanout of the coops. Then use the leaf blower to "dust" the coops with the pile of sevin dust. I've never had a mite problem.

7. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Thank Dawg :)

8. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    That is a great Idea! I never thought to use the leaf blower.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by