1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Yesterday I got Peanut, my Buff Rock hen, out of the pen to play with her. When I set her down on a low tree branch, I noticed her legs. I saw two teeny-tiny dark gray things crawling in and out of her scales. I hadn't noticed this until then and none of my other chickens have the same problem (which is a big relief). Are these scaly leg mites? Her legs look normal for now, but that could change fast if these are scaly leg mites.
    So, does anyone know exactly what these are and how to get rid of them/prevent them in the future?
    If it involves taking Peanut to the vet, well, my sister offered to take to the vet if I found out the problem and if it's serious.
    I just added four Barred Rocks hens to the flock yesterday and I don't want Peanut passing whatever she has onto them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    well I'm not an expert and my hens haven't had a problem with mites so far but I would say those may be mites......get some poultry and garden dust and dust ALL of you hens....maybe try coating Peanut's legs with Vaseline. If you can keep Peanut seperated [​IMG]

Hope this helps and hope you can keep those little bugs off your hens [​IMG]

-LCF

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    If it is scaly leg mite it can be treated with Vaseline. Coat the legs completely and let her go. Make sure you're wearing old clothes when you do this because the Vaseline gets everywhere!! [​IMG] repeate again in two weeks to make sure you get any newly hatched larvae. Supposedly you can treat with Pam cooking spray same way, but I don't think my birds would like getting sprayed any better!! I've used the Vaseline before and it worked. If it isn't mites the Vaseline wouldn't hurt your bird at all.

De can also be used.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

FreeChicken! :

Yesterday I got Peanut, my Buff Rock hen, out of the pen to play with her. When I set her down on a low tree branch, I noticed her legs. I saw two teeny-tiny dark gray things crawling in and out of her scales. I hadn't noticed this until then and none of my other chickens have the same problem (which is a big relief). Are these scaly leg mites? Her legs look normal for now, but that could change fast if these are scaly leg mites.
    So, does anyone know exactly what these are and how to get rid of them/prevent them in the future?
    If it involves taking Peanut to the vet, well, my sister offered to take to the vet if I found out the problem and if it's serious.
    I just added four Barred Rocks hens to the flock yesterday and I don't want Peanut passing whatever she has onto them. [​IMG]

Scaly leg mites hide in the cracks of the roost in the daytime, or under the leg scales. In all my years, I have never seen them in daylight. If I saw such a thing, I would have to think body lice/mites. To treat them, dust ALL your birds with Sevin Dust. Easily done by picking them off the roost at night. Hold them upside down by their legs and dust away. Sevin is safe, even for hens with chicks, but probably isn`t something you would enjoy having in your eyes and lungs, so try to keep it out of the birds face as much as possible. Dust the nests and floor of the coop and spread the Sevin around in the run. Now, since you are doing all this, and we can`t be 100% certain that you didn`t see leg mites, you may as well treat for them, too. The idea for treating leg mites is to drown them. To do this, you use anykind of oil, from WD40 to veggie oil, to used motor oil, it doesn`t matter. Rub it into their legs and soak them real good. WD40 is easiest to use as it can be sprayed on and is a light oil. Any oil will drown the little vampires. Spray the roost, too. That should do it. If you see any more in 10 to 15 days, dust them again. Don`t waste your money on a vet.......Pop​

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Scaly leg mites hide in the cracks of the roost in the daytime, or under the leg scales. In all my years, I have never seen them in daylight. If I saw such a thing, I would have to think body lice/mites. To treat them, dust ALL your birds with Sevin Dust. Easily done by picking them off the roost at night. Hold them upside down by their legs and dust away. Sevin is safe, even for hens with chicks, but probably isn`t something you would enjoy having in your eyes and lungs, so try to keep it out of the birds face as much as possible. Dust the nests and floor of the coop and spread the Sevin around in the run. Now, since you are doing all this, and we can`t be 100% certain that you didn`t see leg mites, you may as well treat for them, too. The idea for treating leg mites is to drown them. To do this, you use anykind of oil, from WD40 to veggie oil, to used motor oil, it doesn`t matter. Rub it into their legs and soak them real good. WD40 is easiest to use as it can be sprayed on and is a light oil. Any oil will drown the little vampires. Spray the roost, too. That should do it. If you see any more in 10 to 15 days, dust them again. Don`t waste your money on a vet.......Pop

Pop is right. Also you can't see the scaly leg mites. They are itsy bitsy but it would be a good plan to oil the legs as a preventative. I did some rescue work with chickens with scaly leg mite so bad their toes were dying and falling off. Two lost their legs and died. I oil my chickens legs every six months now just in case.
    sharon

7. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks for all the help, guys! [​IMG] It really helped! I'll try these things with Peanut and be sure to clean the coop asap! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by