mites

Becca

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 26, 2007
hi everyone. i asked on here a little while ago about a problem i had discovered with mites on my chickens.

i followed the instructions you gave me, thouroughly disinfecting the house and putting down the mite powder, and also dusting the chickens, but i am still finding the mites on the chickens. how often should i actually dust the chickens themselves? i didn't want to be doing it too often if it could harm them, but am now concerned i haven't done it enough?

also, should it be quite fast acting in killing the mites, or is it usual to take a while to clear an infestation?

i have not had this before as i am new to chicken keeping, and am keen to sort it out before my chickens start to suffer.

Thanks in advance.
smile.png

Hi,
I'm new to this to. Had the same prob, used a spray for mites didn't work. 1 week later tried to dust them & housing as you did. Been 2 days, seems better. I think after a week i will use the powder again.
Good luck
From Aussie

Thanks for your reply Aussie. I have been dusting them every 7-10 days (ish), for a few weeks now, but the mites have not gone yet. Does anyone know how often it is recommended to do? Should I be doing it more regularly?

Thanks.
smile.png

What are you dusting them with? A pesticide dust or DE? Do they also have a dust bath that they use? Between the heavy clay soil here and the heavy rains, our chickens need a little help to make and maintain a good dust bath. We use sand in it, to keep it loose, and have one under cover, so that it stays dry. Other things can be added, like wood ash or DE. I guess it's like cooking. Everybody has their own recipe.

Hi, thanks for your reply woodland woman, sorry it has taken a while to respond, i have been having trouble with the forum.

we also have quite heavy soil, so we do have a sand dust bath for them, which also has been powdered.

the dusting powder i have been using is this one: http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=1001 .

any further advise is appreciated, particularly with regard to how often to powder them.

thanks again.

I have never used this product. The website lists the directions as 0

Directions for use - Powder application: Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
The powder can be dusted onto the birds or added to the dust bath.
Red mite is a nocturnal creature so it’s best to spray the birds before lights out.
Dim the lights as low as practically possible to avoid any undue agitation amongst the birds.
Don’t forget that red mite can live away from the bird for up to 36 weeks.
Lightly dust Red Mite Powder over the birds. Dependant upon infestation, the powder can be applied again after 5/6 weeks.

This product reads as if once every 5 - 6 weeks.

I use Sevin dust to treat and follow up after 7 - 10 days with another treatment. Never had to repeat.​

Becca, does your container list the ingredients or even just the active ingredient? I didn't see that on the link you gave, but I may have missed it. Although, I did get out my magnifying glass for that page!

They describe this product as a repellent at the top of that page. I'm wondering if you need to look for something that's more of a, well, killer!
lol.png

Also, when you dust them, are you holding them upside down and making sure the dust is getting down to their skin, around the vent area especially, where the mites like to live on the birds? There's always the "shake and bake method" to try, also. You have some of the dust in a plastic bag, put the chicken in with it's head sticking out of the bag and shake it up. I haven't tried that, yet, as the dust baths alone have taken care of our mite problem.

I have been using something called Viper Dust. I get it at my local feed store. Its like Sevin Dust but it has Permithian in it. Its manufactured to sprinkle on veggies in the garden, but can be used on livestock, horses, dogs, cats, and poultry.

I dusted my birds yesterday due to a sever mite infestation. Today they were looking better, but still had a few and eggs. So I dusted them again today. I'll give them a break for a few days, and then I'll hit em again.

You can also try putting INJECTABLE Ivomec in their water. 2 or 3 cc's to a gallon of water. For more inforamation check Scott Shilala's website, Easy Chicken.

hi. thanks for more info everyone. i am going to go to the shop this afternoon, and see what they have which will kill the mites rather than repel them, although there does seem to be less now. i will let you know in a few days how i am getting on!

thanks again for all your guidance so far!
smile.png

I use the 7 dust also, I use the powder and the spray. I use the powder on the birds and in the nest and I use the spray on the floor, walls and the roost. I also put the dust in the spots where they dust themselves out in the yard.

With the leg mites, I use vaseiline, wd-40 or bagbalm, depending on how bad it is. If its mild, I just spray em with the wd-40, if its bad I use bagbalm or vaseiline and I may have to apply it several times.................Good luck.........

Back
Top Bottom