1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mites

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by layalittleeggfo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. layalittleeggfo

layalittleeggfo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    i have been reading the section and several members have suggested sevin dust for chickens and sevin in liquid form for the coop

now one of the chickens is looking worse for wear and is losing fethers on her breast, we brought her into the kickch to have a better look and there wer 2 mites that fell from her and on to the floor,

no we mite the chickens regularly using johnsons mite powder, but clearly its not working

now i searched for the sevin mite powder and it only came back with treatment for vegetables is this the same product or not????

and is there atcually any difference in the johnsons or the sevin????

we didi take out the dust bath just before jan, due to it being pooped in, is taking the sand/dust bath out the reason they have got them??

alos we clean the coop every week with poltery spray, and that says for flu and mites

sorry i know that i have kinda rambled on there, help appreciated as always :)

oh i must stress these are black/brown in colour not red

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    According to the internet, Johnson's Poultry Mite and Lice Powder is diatomaceous earth, not a poison. It kills insects by dehydrating them. Sevin dust is a poison that will kill mites, when the chicken and the environment are dusted with it.

The chickens can benefit from having a dust bathing site. This bathing facilitates spreading the natural oils throughout the feathers and allows the birds to clean pests from themselves.

Congratulations on having black/brown chickens. We have some of each.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by