MITES!!!

mikailah1998

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
I have 15 hens right now and this morning I was picking up every hen and seeing if it had pasty butt or mites. I picked up one of my americanas and she is INFESTED with mites. I am only 15 years old who is very sqemish of bugs and I just can't do it. So I ask members of the BYC, should I get rid of (as in kill) so she doesn't infest the rest of the flock?

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!

No need to kill her. to get rid of them the fastest way you can buy some mite dust at the feed store and give her a light dusting. make sure you read all the directions on the container. and make sure your chickens all have a place to dust bath in. you may have to treat the rest. keep an eye on them, and treat as needed.

No, there's no need to kill her, you can treat the mites. However, if you have one chicken who is infested chances are good they all have at least some mites. You need to dust all of them every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing mites. Dusting only one hen one time will not solve the problem. You will also need to strip out the coop completely and treat it for mites too, either spray it or dust it really well. I prefer spraying since it gets into the nooks and crannies a lot better. Repeat in 7 to 10 days. Then just keep a close eye on them and retreat as needed. Mites can be really hard to get rid of.

No need to kill her. to get rid of them the fastest way you can buy some mite dust at the feed store and give her a light dusting. make sure you read all the directions on the container. and make sure your chickens all have a place to dust bath in. you may have to treat the rest. keep an eye on them, and treat as needed.

No, there's no need to kill her, you can treat the mites. However, if you have one chicken who is infested chances are good they all have at least some mites. You need to dust all of them every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing mites. Dusting only one hen one time will not solve the problem. You will also need to strip out the coop completely and treat it for mites too, either spray it or dust it really well. I prefer spraying since it gets into the nooks and crannies a lot better. Repeat in 7 to 10 days. Then just keep a close eye on them and retreat as needed. Mites can be really hard to get rid of.
What they said. I would also spray their coop with Sevin (read label) and put the dust where they dust bathe.
This is what I use:

thank you so much for responding my parents and I used Diatomasous earth on all the chickens and we also did the coops.

Back
Top Bottom