1. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    We got some show silver laced wyandottes just under 3 weeks ago and we thought they were really healthy and all but this after noon i was holding one of the hens when i felt a heap of hard feathers so i turned her over to have a look and she has a horrible case of mites on her tummy chest area between her legs there was about 50 per centimetre in some areas and the feathers where stuck full of eggs so i filled a bucket with warm water and and put lots of teatree oil in it they seemed to die but im sure it wont be the last of them i managed to bath one other of the hens but it was getting too cold to bath the rest of them which i checked and they had it to ....
    What else can i do to get rid of them if this doesnt work ?
    Any other household things that kill them?
    Should i cut off the feathers that are covered in eggs so they dont hatch?
    Any info would be much appreciated!

2. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    [​IMG]

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Wow, you can really get a good view if you click on the picture and enlarge it!

I'd dust her with Sevin. I'm not crazy about using pesticides but will if the consequences are infecting my entire flock.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You could use Frontline spray for dogs and cats, or Adams Flea and Tick Spray. Both of these products work quite well.

5. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks yeah there is so many on her i'll make sure we buy some to put on her

6. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    What works brilliantly and also is an excellent dewormer is Ivermectin. You need to apply 2 drops to each chook, right onto the skin, twice, a week apart.

Because the mites can survive without food for quite a while it's really important to get the coop cleaned out and thoroughly dust with Permethrin (Sevin) dust.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by