1. Martha Jensen

Martha Jensen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    I think my original chickens have mites. I picked one up, looked near the vent and under the wings as directed by a U-tube video and there were very tiny black-brown critters.

Ran to Concord Feed, but the recommended cure is highly toxic to aquatic life and the coop is across from the 6,500 gallon pond with fish and turtles.

I read wood ash mixed with some diatomaceous earth in a tub for them to dust bath in works, so I just put that in.

Any ideas out there? I just rescued 7 from Animal Place and I know they are OK and don't want this to spread. They are in separate coops, joined by a screen door . . .

Martha

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Martha Jensen

Martha Jensen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    I am still not sure what to use. I have a 6,500 pond close to the coops with turtles and fish.

Concord Feed said to use diatomaceous earth and I read mixing that with water and spraying the inside of the coop is good.

I'm lost.

Martha

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As Dawg53 said, diatamaceous earth is nearly useless when wet. Even when dry, it is not a good treatment for mites. Feed stores are usually not very knowledgeable on chickens. You'd be better off getting some Sevin 10% dust or a mite spray like Poultry Protector (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg;-poultry-protector-16-oz). You could also used Frontline for dogs and cats, give them a bath in some water containing Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo, or spray them with some Adams Flea and Tick Spray.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    10% Sevin dust should never be used on chickens--only 5% Sevin.

7. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    So wood ash doesn't get rid of mites existing on your birds?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people recommend wood ash for the dust bath to help prevent lice and mites, but if you get a heavy infestation sevin dust kills them right away. Mites can cause severe anemia.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mites suck blood and cause anemia, then death. An infestation of mites can take a chicken down real quick. You dont want to fool around with mites, use something that will kill them as quickly as possible.

10. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    Ok I got some silkies today. My first chickens. They need so TLC the place they were at was horrible I couldn't leave them there. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by