1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi everyone. To my Horror my new young silkie was shipped to me with mites. I didn't notice this at first until today.about a month After she had been with me.she's been kept inside the entire time I've had her because I'm working on the house and run. I noticed these small brownish to clear type bugs on her then I saw the eggs clustered to the feather shat. What I've done:, o have changed all the bedding and used poultry dust in and under the shavings, I've dusted ALL my birds very carefully with poultry dust , I've taken a flea comb through her and removed as many eggs as I could. I've ran the flea comb through all the feathers and now no more visible mites are present. My question is this. I've never had a bought with mites before so I'm not sure when I need to re treat.i know I'm going to have to retreat unless the dust kills the eggs as well which I'm assuming it does NOT. So any tips on when to retreat ? Or how to get rid of these nasty creatures?? Because she's been inside this whole time I'm assuming she had the bugs when I bought her. Anything else I can do to help her? ? Thank you kindly. I want to get rid of these nasties as soon as possible!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You need to treat twice, ten days apart. The second treatment kills the eggs which, as you thought, don't get killed by the first round. I hope "poultry dust" does not mean DE alone, as it will not work. If it has permethrin or carbaryl, or something similar, it should Also, if you don't remove the bedding or litter ot whatever she's touched with each treatment, you won't kill them all.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818674/are-these-some-kind-of-egg-clusters/0_20#post_11897957

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    No poultry dust is permethrein. And I've changed her bed as well. Thank you for your links. Very helpful! Hope these nasties are gone soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by