1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Well I was honestly about to chop off Olives head as she has been ill for about a month and no matter what I did she just did not get better and it appeared that she was suffering. As I was moving her feathers I seen the mites and the eggs no wonder she is tired and lethargic. I feel horrid. I have given her 2 baths in the last 2 weeks and never seen them. I know many people will not treat with sevin but I did .Olive was sitting outside in the snow and all around her was mites, they dropped off her after I applied the Sevin. How long do I wait to apply it again to kill the unhatched eggs? I dusted all my chickens and their coops. I did check the other chickens and did not find any eggs or mites, I think chickens are smarter than we give them credit for as the other chickens always avoided her. Her body is pale but she is eating and drinking very well, I will separate her from the rest of the flocks for as long as it takes to get rid of the mites. I don't know how I missed this and I feel horrid, Olive is stronger than I gave her credit for, she was just hanging in there waiting for me to do something about her condition. Let me know please about retreating for mites after the first initial dose.
    After dusting Olive I changed my clothes just in case I had eggs or mites on me before I checked the other chickens and dusted them and their coops. I guess the myth about having a clean coop means nothing, parasites are everywhere. Thank you

2. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Everytime I post here I never get a response. Don't even know why I became a member. [​IMG]

3. blythspirit

blythspirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Beautiful PNW
    I am a fairly new member too. I hope you get an answer to your question. I am waiting to see what someone who might know what to do posts. I hope Olive will be okay, she sounds like she is a fighter and has a willingness to survive. Thank you for trying to help her. [​IMG]

4. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thank you for your kind words. It's really a shame how many mites came off of her. Taught me a valuable lesson. I guess I will treat her again in 7 days, I'm more concerned about hatching eggs than mites as they seem to be all dead. :cd

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The eggs usually hatch in 7-10 days time frame, that's the time you'll want to redust Olive. But you'll need to keep inspecting her, not all lice/mites lay eggs at the same time and eggs will hatch at different times/days intervals. I recommend that you feed her scrambled eggs mixed with buttermilk (not yogurt) for a few days. Then add her feed to the mixture to make a mash for several more days. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed in the digestive tract. Yogurt tends to pass through birds. The buttermilk will help build up her immune system and the scrambled eggs will help rebuild her strength.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thanks for the good information, I appreciate your time. Does it have to be buttermilk? How about regular milk or carnation milk? I do have yogurt on hand as well but no buttermilk.

8. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Good information Eggcessive it definitely is mites but looking at the pictures Olive is not in as bad shape as those chickens are. I'm glad for the replies and the useful information.

9. chic05

chic05 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Oh
    good thought it was just he I'm new as well !!!
    I've had a crappy week I had three hens and one just died for no apparent reason they are well taken care of part of the family so I'm not sure what's going on!!
    They have been wormed a few weeks back.
    Then I just went to go check On them and I discovered mites all over one of them I'm so darn frustrated!!!
    Now this!!!!! Seriously I think if I didn't take care of them so much maybe they would be ok!! Can't win here!!! I know mites are just unavoidable, not sure what I'm meant to do I guess I have to go to the produce store tomorrow and get something to treat this ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by