Mites!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsObeed, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MrsObeed

MrsObeed Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2014
    So I rescued a duck from some people I know that didn't even have any water to swim in. Never having had a problem with mites I didn't even think about it but she had mites and past it onto some of my other ducks. I got some stuff from the vet to get rid of it and treated all of my ducks but I'm not sure it worked. How long does it take for the feathers to grow back on the top of there wings? Some of my ducks show no signs but others do and I'm not sure if there still infected or just haven't had feathers grow back yet.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What breed of duck?
    How old are they?

3. MrsObeed

Nov 23, 2014
    Muscovy's and they range from 9 months to 2 years

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Feather loss will take awhile to come back similar to molting.... yes, always quarantine new birds! check them for parasites although ducks are less prone you just never know.

Good of you to rescue! good luck with the bird.

5. MrsObeed

Nov 23, 2014
    Well she was in a pen about 1meter long and 2 wide with 2 roosters and never got let out so I wasn't going to leave her there. She had no feathers on the back of her neck at all! Was just worried I didn't put enough of the drench on they said only 1 to 2 drops and not to repeat for 3 months. I've cleaned out all of their bedding about 3 times since but do mites work like fleas? Do they hang around and jump back and re infect the ducks?

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    NO you did the right thing, that is terrible... why do people do that?!

Um, had only 1 experience with mites that was through a broody free ranged hen..(chicken) i cleaned out all the bedding and used a powder... for dusting that worked.. i never needed to repeat it. The drops this sounds right, one has to remember that birds don't weigh that much, i keep larger livestock so for comparison the amounts in drops is more than sufficient. You can always inquire with your vet if your concerned, but the feathers especially if completely gone will take awhile to return...

Love to see her! they are quite the Character, own a bunch of them..

7. MrsObeed

Nov 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. MrsObeed

Nov 23, 2014
    Were calling Her Wild One absolutely hated us and all the other ducks when I brought her home but she's been coming around starting to eat out of my hand now [​IMG] I have 17 including Rubber who is my house duck/baby

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Awe, how lovely! sounds like you've done very well. The feathers will return and this can all be put behind.

10. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    Put some diatomaceous earth down on the ground and add some to their feed. Will get rid of mites and is safe. Make sure you get the food grade DE. This will make sure that they don't get re-infected.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by