1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mits AHHH!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andrealeec, Sep 14, 2011.

1. andrealeec

andrealeec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    So I think my chickens have mites. I can't get a good picture because they won't sit still long enough! My EE Roo has a bald patch on his cheek and his neck, which I thought was pecking at first..but then I noticed one of my SLW pullets has a patch on her back right in front of her tail feathers. There are dried blood specks, but I don't see any mites, not that they sit still long enough for me to get a good look. Could this just be pecking? I have frontline spray, which I was told by a co-worker who also has chickens (and we work at a veterinary clinic) that this is good for mites and you only have to spray their legs right where the feathers start. Any more advice? I may just be freaking over nothing. On a happier note, I got my first eggs and now they are laying like crazy. 20 weeks old!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. andrealeec

andrealeec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    I don't think it's mites. Last night I went into the coop with a flashlight and checked all of them and couldn't find any mites. I just don't get why they are picking on the roo!! I was watching them before the went up to the roost and the girls were picking his tail! So I guess I have to put out more things for them to eat during the day to keep them busy. Just to make sure I am going to strip the coop and spray poultry protector, and spray them with the frontline...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by