Mix age chicks in brooder

Heather94

Songster
7 Years
Sep 14, 2016
Florida Panhandle
Anyone have trouble having chick of different ages in the brooder? I have (4) 4 week old Silkie chicks, (1) 1 week old EE chick, (2) 2 day old EE chicks, & (1) 2 day old polish chick. The 4 silkies have picked on one of my 2 day old EE chicks (the only yellow/chipmunk one) til it's head bled a bit. I've doctored it and separated. This is the only chick they pick on, they leave the rest alone. Nothing seem to be wrong with him. Not sick. Not deformed. Just yellow. (The other chicks are 1 silver and 2 black).

Anyone have experience with this? My silkies are in a box "brooder" with no heat lamp now. My day old and week old chicks are in my tote brooder with a lamp.

Any advice would be great! I've never had this problem, I've always had mixed ages in the brooder. I hatch every week, and normally move them out at 5 weeks.

I do mix ages pretty frequently because I hatch about every week in the summer time, but I will usually only do up to 3 weeks difference because of the size and activity difference. The younger/smaller ones can get trampled.

Yeah I think I'll do that for now on. I was worried about that when we started, but then they all seemed to get along. Have been hatching a few months now and never had a problem up until now. Thanks!

Yeah I think I'll do that for now on. I was worried about that when we started, but then they all seemed to get along. Have been hatching a few months now and never had a problem up until now. Thanks!

Yeah I've never had an issue with anyone getting picked on, its just those younger ones aren't as quick on their feet for the first couple of days usually. They also will try to follow around the bigs which can sometimes result in getting stepped on. The size difference between a day old and three week old is amazing.

It is amazing!

They aren't getting stepped on, they are just bullying this one chick :\ it's frustrating! They don't need with the other 3, don't even look thier way. But for some reason, they hate this one chick :(

I've just gotten my first chicks (4 cream leghorns) that are 1week old. I hope to get Golden Comets tomorrow. Should I put them in a different container for a few days until I see if they are sick. The Comets will be from a store rather than an individual and I don't know if that's riskier.
Thanks for any info.

Personally, I'd not bother. However, the younger birds may be a bit slower on their feet. As long as they don't get trampled by the bigger birds, they should do fine. sometimes, I put a bit of a divider in the brooder... so that all the chicks can get to the heat until the new ones are eating and drinking well, then remove the divider.

Back
Top Bottom