Mix breed chicken laid 2 eggs now no eggs for 4 days

iowena

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Hi I am new to this forum and have some questions about my new birds.
I have 5 mixed breed layers that are around 6 months old. One of the girls laid and egg for me last Sunday and Monday. I have not had an egg since and the one we think started laying is in the coop next to the nesting boxes and has been there all day. Is this normal or should I call the vet? The rest of the chickens are all acting as they have since I got them. Free Range during the day then they go back to their coop around 5:30 PM. We lock them in to the run around 6 (that is dusk for now). Then we close the door to their coop and turn off the lights around 10 - 10:30 PM.... Not sure what to do... Hoping she does not have an egg stuck in her vent!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Its normal for birds new to laying to lay inconsistently at first. You'll probably get more eggs from the bird who had laid in a few weeks. Once she gets used to egg laying, she'll lay more consistently.

As to the bird that is in the coop next to the nest boxes, is she acting droopy? Is her tail pointy down/feathers fluffed up? Feel her abdomen. Is it hard? She could be egg bound. New layers are more susceptible to egg laying problems than birds that have been laying for a while.

Its normal for birds new to laying to lay inconsistently at first. You'll probably get more eggs from the bird who had laid in a few weeks. Once she gets used to egg laying, she'll lay more consistently.

As to the bird that is in the coop next to the nest boxes, is she acting droopy? Is her tail pointy down/feathers fluffed up? Feel her abdomen. Is it hard? She could be egg bound. New layers are more susceptible to egg laying problems than birds that have been laying for a while.

Agreed.

Does she puff up at you or is she on the nest at night? Another possibility is that she could be thinking of going broody.

Thank you for the information. She is not puffed up and she actually went to the roost last night. She is acting more normal today than yesterday. Maybe she just needed more naps yesterday than the rest of the flock? They are still pretty young! Thanks for your input and I am really glad I joined this site and look forward to getting advice from those that have done this before me!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom