1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mix breed quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephanie1992, Sep 24, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

can u mix breeds of quail? like mixing chickens? i have a male bob white i want to put with my female pharoah quail. can they mate and have fertile eggs?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i remmeber someone trying to do this a little bit ago, calling it a bob bird or something like that.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

what your talking about is more like mixing mallard derived ducks with muscovies. Two different species that may be close enough in relation to produce viable eggs, but the offspring may be mules. I'm thinking they are probly too far removed from each other to reproduce successfully and all leads online appear to be coturnix being passed as hybrids. [​IMG]
    But of course I could be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Bob Bird Is A Bob/coturnix Hybrid. But It Is Created The Opposite Way... Male Cot Over Female Bob. Your Results May Be Very Ugly As The Bob Male Is A Much More Powerful Model Than The Standard Coturnix Roo, And Has A Disposition To Match..

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Just to clarify these are species not breeds an A&M crossed with a Pharoah would be a mixed BREED, but if your senario was successful if would be a mixed SPECIES and all offspring would be "mules". Any offspring would be sterile and yould would most likely get very low hatchabilty while producing them. [​IMG]

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

so it is possible to mix them

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Is And The Mule Effect Doesnt Carry Over Reliably Into The Bird World

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:Yes, the Bob the bob can do his thing and Cleo there can have fertile eggs. The result is an ugly bird with a cranky disposition that never laid or made a fertile egg. It did make a happy Bob tho until I finally hatched and grew out enough females to set him up with his own harem. When you have the opposite blend (bob hen), you get the Bob bird hybrid. Forget which hatchery even has these for sale but saw 'em somewhere. Once again, a rather funky looking bird that has a rather nasty disposition. Not sure on their fertility since I never tried that gender/breed combo. I never had a gentleman enough cort male that I would trust a bob hen to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by