Mix-breed thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bigwig, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Feel free to post pictures of your mix-breed chickens along with information, such as: What breeds where the parents, Egg production (if your mix-breed is a laying hen), Name (optional), and Questions (if any).

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I have both,red sexlinks,and Black.Love these Cross-Breeds.
    My black sexlinks are named,Angel,and I still have not decided the others name after a year and a few months.My red sexlink is a great egg layer.Both mix breeds are.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Black Sex Links are my favorite hens. They are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Two of my BSL hens are in the pic below.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I am planning on getting a few black stars this spring and I have a few questions: Do all Black sex links have red markings on their chest? How do they act towards other breeds of chickens? Are they frequently broody?

Information would be greatly appreciated.

5. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Yes.All of them have red on the chest,some even yellow ish.Most times,mines are pretty furious.But they have their reasons.Mines were bullied,which really has effect on a chickens life.They are now very high in the pecking order.I only had one out of my two black sexlinks try to brood.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Virtually all of them have reddish or copper colored markings on their chest and necks, although some have more than others. This color comes from the male red gene roosters (usually RIR or Production Reds) which are crossed with the female barred hens (usually BPRs) that are used to breed them. Our Black Sex Links have usually been very friendly and have gotten along well with our other breeds (most of the breeds we've kept over the years have been docile breeds). Of course there is always a pecking order with any breeds. Just make sure that your birds are not overcrowded as overcrowding quickly leads to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism no matter what breeds you have. Rarely do Black Sex Links go broody. It's part of the reason why they are such amazing layers (broody hens stop laying).

7. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Thanks!!

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I have 11 mix-breed hens currently. 10 of them are a Rhode Island Red male crossed with Colombian Rock female. They are friendly towards people and lay 3 to 5 eggs per week during their first laying season. The only downside is that they tend to have lots of health problems as they get older. As far as I know they are only sold at Mountain Healthy Hatchery and are called Red Cross. The other hen is a Blue-red Ameraucana male crossed with a Red Cross female. She lays lots of small pale green eggs. I hatched her myself and I don’t think you’ll find her kind at a feed-store or hatchery. She is mostly buff colored with blueish tall feathers.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger x brown Leghorn hen. Wonderful layer of large pale blue eggs.

[​IMG]

crossed with a home made black sex link rooster gave these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same bsl rooster (wish I had a pic of him!) over a silver laced Wyandotte hen gave me this...

[​IMG]

And over a Welsummer hen gave me this beautiful guy...

[​IMG]
    The same bsl rooster over this EE hen
    [​IMG]
    gave me this pretty blue egg laying blue barred hen. I put her under a splash Ameraucana and got two splash sex linked chicks, but you couldn't see the head spots with the silver down, so the sex linkage wad kind of useless. The pullet just started laying (no pics of her, sorry) and she's giving a pretty aqua colored egg.

[​IMG]

then these boys were the same bsl rooster over a gold and silver wyandotte hen, respectively.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by