Mix new bantam with large hens???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pitbulls and chickens, Sep 28, 2011.

1. pitbulls and chickens

pitbulls and chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    We went to a Bird Fanciers meet last weekend and ended up coming home with a 4 1/2 month old Silkie Bantam pullet and a rooster from Roooster Rescue! Rooster doing well with our older hens but am worried about introducing our Silkie pullet to either of our 2 groups of bigger hens/roos as shes so tiny and young! Even full grown not sure if we can ever do this due to her miniature size?? We have another Silkie hen that grew up with our older hens so size was never an issue. Weve put the 2 Silkies together so our new girl isnt lonely. Theyre getting along great but will I ever be able to intro a new bantam to full grown large birds(this flock is 17 Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, Americaunas hens and 1 huge roo)? Our roo is not exactly the gentle type breeding his ladies so more worried for the silkie there too...Thankyou in advance for any suggestions!

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should quarantine them for at least a month then intoduce through a fence for a few more weeks so they get used to each other. After that turn them out in the run together and keep an eye on them.
    Do you have a pit? Does it mingle with your chickens? We have one and she just loves our birds. She's a sweetheart.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You never know what could happen. Every flock is different. I had a d'uccle live with 4 muscovy ducks and it worked just fine. But those are alert little birds, silkies with their fluff dont have as great as vision as other birds and might end up on the bottom of the totem pole.

4. pitbulls and chickens

pitbulls and chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Thankyou for the posts...I did put the 2 silkies together where they all can see each other through the fence, so will play by ear I guess to see how its going. And yes we have Pits! Pit Bull Rescue hs been my obsession for years. Had 4, lost 2 past year and half to health probs with no possibility of recovery unfortunately..One of our 2 loves and guards over our chickens. The other isnt trustworthy with other animals so Ive trained her to avoid chickens in fenced yards. Shes so obedient that its been working, she wont even look at them now! LOL! How old is yours?

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She's about three years old. She was also a rescue. It really irritates me that most people give them such a bad rap. They are one of the smartest and most loyal breeds out there, therefore easily trainded to do whatever... good or bad.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by